Walk-behind String vs brush cutter, reviews needed

Homer1

Threads
So, we own about 20 acres of land of which 5 or more needs to be kept clear each year. At least 1 acre of this is down by a creek and in somewhat marshy conditions which allows for quick growth and lots of random weeds and plants to take root. While I don't have to keep this acre totally clean, it would be nice to keep a small part of it clean in the form of a wide path down to our creek.

I bought a tractor this year to bush hog most of the easily reached areas, but that's another story.

Needless to say this area had some already young trees and saplings alike, with the majority of it being 1/4" thick weeds and plants, up to 1", maybe even some 1.5" stuff. We'd like to keep a path cleared in order to get to the creek for fishing and swimming with the kids, but I'm not sure which way to go.

I have never used a walk-behind string trimmer before, but I have obviously used a weed-eater. My concern with the string trimmer is that debris will constantly be jamming up on the head causing me to have to stop and clear, as well as constantly feed the head with new string. However the price is much better than that of the brush cutter which uses blades. It may also assist in keeping the fence row's clean and free of junk, which helps the entire farm look better. Below is the option I am considering for the job. I don't know much about the brand either, but it's what's available locally.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Swisher-163-cc-22-in-String-Trimmer-Mower/4740404

Likewise, they sell a much more expensive walk-behind brush option, which obviously would do alot more dammage to the debris I am cutting. It works much like a bush-hog and chops things into a fine mess, including small saplings and sticks. My main issue with this is it's overall price. For as much as I would use it, I don't know if it's going to be worth the money. Here's the option for it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Swisher-Pre...-Front-Discharge-Gas-Lawn-Mower-With/50369690

If anyone has any feedback either way on either type of machine, or some examples of what they do well or don't do well I am all ears. I can't help feeling like the string trimmer would be enough, but I know the brush cutter is much more heavy duty and can take a beating in alot of situations.

Thanks!

Homer

Homer1

Threads
Thanks.. I had looked at the DR's but only at their brush series, which is higher priced than the Swisher. Their trimmer mowers appear to have one good quality and that's the guarantee that they won't jam up. This most likely due to their head design, it's just 1 nice curve and doesn't leave a top section for weeds to ravel up on. I may consider this over the swisher model, but I am still back to the discusion of whether the trimmer would be sufficient in heavier brush. Especially around smaller 1" trees and etc..

Can't help think a brush mower is what I need, but I don't want to spend the money.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trimmers say 3/8" brush. 1" or larger for the mower. Yes it cost more but the self propelled would be very useful. I don't think you will get what you need out of the trimmer.