Walk Behind Mower Buying & Pricing Help (MOVED FROM ANOTHER THREAD)

BrokenTiller

Threads
  • / Walk Behind Mower Buying & Pricing Help (MOVED FROM ANOTHER THREAD)
What about like a 36" hydro walk behind.

I don't mean to hijack another poster's thread, but do you have any thoughts or recommendations for residential wide cut walk behind mowers? I am considering ditching my current tractor and 'traditional' (21") walk behind and replacing them with a wide cut walk behind. My biggest concern is the maneuverability of a deck that big, and the residential models that I've seen don't appear to have steering controls from what I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro makes a 30" walk behind.

Threads
I don't mean to hijack another poster's thread, but do you have any thoughts or recommendations for residential wide cut walk behind mowers? I am considering ditching my current tractor and 'traditional' (21") walk behind and replacing them with a wide cut walk behind. My biggest concern is the maneuverability of a deck that big, and the residential models that I've seen don't appear to have steering controls from what I can tell.

Personally I wouldn't get a residential one like the one below but that's just me.

cub cadet walk-behind.png

Last edited:

BrokenTiller

Threads
Personally I wouldn't get a residential one like the one below but that's just me.

View attachment 15820

That's the type of model I was asking about - do they have any kind of steering control, or do you just have to muscle them around? Being as big as it is, are they difficult/heavy to turn and maneuver?

Threads
That's the type of model I was asking about - do they have any kind of steering control, or do you just have to muscle them around? Being as big as it is, are they difficult/heavy to turn and maneuver?

I'm pretty sure they don't have any steering control. My Billy Goat Homepro 34 didn't...and it was so heavy! But maybe heavier than the Cub Cadet.

billy goat.jpg

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If you are talking about a walk behind mower like the one pictured the CC 760 the answer would be yes they have steering control. Most have either what they call paddles or there hydralic, you don't have to muscle anything around.

Threads
If you are talking about a walk behind mower like the one pictured the CC 760 the answer would be yes they have steering control. Most have either what they call paddles or there hydralic, you don't have to muscle anything around.

This one doesn't according to 34 sec. in the video:

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said most walk behinds have either what they call paddles or there hydraulic, you don't have to muscle anything around. If the 760 or your Billy doesn't have brakes to steer the unit then it's nothing more than a push mower and not a walk behind. Most all walk behind mowers with belt drive you steer by using the brake controls, the higher end units that are hydraulic are the same steering as your ZTR or Standers like the grandstand.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are going to get a 36 walk behind make sure its hydro not belt. Belt drive is a pita to maneuver hydro is quite smooth and. Easy to move

BrokenTiller

Threads
If you are going to get a 36 walk behind make sure its hydro not belt. Belt drive is a pita to maneuver hydro is quite smooth and. Easy to move

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. What kind of price am I looking at to get into a low-end (if there is such a thing) hydro walk behind with a 33-36" deck? I suspect they're going to be commercial mowers that will cost at least several grand, which is more than I want to spend, keeping in mind that I'm only going to be using it on my own property as a home owner.