Ventilated Block Blues

bartles

Threads
Working on a 2020 Murray 30" with a 10.5 HP B&S. The block has a hole in it courtesy of the rod and associated trashed crankshaft.
Engine: 21R707 -146-G1, Code 190925ZD

Haven't priced out the part yet but, basically, should I look for a "will fit" engine, search EBAY, or .....?

Suggestions appreciated in advance,

bartles

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate to say this but installing a new engine in a Murray is a waste of money. New engine will cost more than the unit is worth. Just speaking from experience.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
Hey Bartles. There are literally tons of used B&S flathead verticals still out there just waiting for a fresh start on a late model rider. If you have the usual 1"x3" shaft on yours it's likely a direct swap with the OHV. It's hard to beat an old 11 or 12HP Briggs flathead vertical. They can wear out lawn tractor drivetrains and mowing decks long before the engines ever give up. I've found they're also great replacements on things that came with the single cylinder Kohler Courage engines as long as the shaft matches.

bartles

Threads
I hate to say this but installing a new engine in a Murray is a waste of money. New engine will cost more than the unit is worth. Just speaking from experience.
Yep, may be "recycle" time for this little toy!

bartles

Threads
Hey Bartles. There are literally tons of used B&S flathead verticals still out there just waiting for a fresh start on a late model rider. If you have the usual 1"x3" shaft on yours it's likely a direct swap with the OHV. It's hard to beat an old 11 or 12HP Briggs flathead vertical. They can wear out lawn tractor drivetrains and mowing decks long before the engines ever give up. I've found they're also great replacements on things that came with the single cylinder Kohler Courage engines as long as the shaft matches.
I'm thinking that is the most practical way to deal with this. New parts is certainly not a viable option.

Thanks for your input.

bartles

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
check Small Engine Wharehouse, go to their "repower old equipment" page.