Vent plug damage, can't remove, help!

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: Removed the deck and drive belt, raised the front up with a hydraulic mower jack, both trans axle plugs were simple to get at. The inside of the plug wasn't as badly damaged as I thought, my hex socket must have been on an angle which I couldn't totally see with everything in my way and working from the back of the mower, once everything was removed they were so much easier to get at from underneath. Tapped my hex socket in straight this time, just a little heat around the plug, a few good pulls and it snapped loose. Draining the axle fluid now, looks pretty thin and black, I never knew the trans axles were serviceable, it's the first fluid change and new filters in 15 yrs. Putting in new Hydro Gear external hex plugs which should make it easier to remove next time. I'll see how good my air purging is once I get the new fluid in and filters back on, I'll keep you posted...

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everything works great, trans axles sound quieter, steers 100% better. Now that I know the trans axles are serviceable, I'll be sure to change the filters and fluid more often. Thanks for all your help..