Vehicle preservation

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all, I'd like some input on this subject. We do not have enough garage space for all our vehicles, and on sunny days I put my '04 Saturn in the garage after my wife leaves for work. It's there from 8 am to 4 pm, and when I put it back outside I use a windshield sunshade to keep the interior cool. The object of putting it indoors is to reduce weathering of the paint, and it is still like new because a keep it washed and wax it with paste wax twice a year.

I am wondering if starting the car up twice a day will cause additional engine wear that will cancel out the benefits of trying to keep the paint preserved by driivng it indoors. For what its worth, it only gets driven 1,000 miles or less a year and I change the oil and filter every fall, using a premium oil.

Yes, might be an inane question, but I am sure it isn't as inane as some posted in this forum. Thanks.

briggs

Threads
if your not revving the guts out of it ..It wont hurt it to start it up and move it in and out of the garage 2 times a day

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am wondering if starting the car up twice a day will cause additional engine wear that will cancel out the benefits of trying to keep the paint preserved by driivng it indoors. For what its worth, it only gets driven 1,000 miles or less a year

I would try to drive it around ,at least to bring everything up to operating temp, at least once or twice a wk on the evening start up....
That is except during the winter ,salty season,:frown:...

Keep that paint and interior from sun oxidation and it will look great for a long time. :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would try to drive it around ,at least to bring everything up to operating temp, at least once or twice a wk on the evening start up....
That is except during the winter ,salty season,:frown:...

Keep that paint and interior from sun oxidation and it will look great for a long time. :smile:KennyV

Thanks to both for your input...Kenny, you hit that one right on the head, and once a week I drive 15-25 miles after start up to run my weekly errands all at once.

Attachments

• BMW3 002.jpg
    BMW3 002.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 8
  • BMW3 003.jpg
    BMW3 003.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 12

Hoss

Threads
If you ever want to sell your car, let me know. I'll take a cross country trip to buy a car that only gets 1k miles a year.:eek:

173abn

Threads
I've got a 93 Chevy PU I bought new.It's parked in the barn.I've changed oil every 3000 miles since it was new.I used to drive it every night to and from work ,30miles .since I've retired we both get a break. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you ever want to sell your car, let me know. I'll take a cross country trip to buy a car that only gets 1k miles a year.:eek:

Thanks Hoss, but I don't sell anything in my "fleet". Current latest addition is the '04 Saturn, purchased it from an elderly couple who had it serviced once a year but never, ever washed it or cleaned the interior. Spent a huge amount of time cleaning and detailing it and rebuilt cooling system, someone had put oil in the brake fluid at one time and that alone cost me a lot of time and $$ to fix. Daily driver used to be my Y2K GMC XL 2500 4X4, 36,000 miles still looks like new. Summer car is a '93 Olds Cutlass Supreme ragtop, 19,000 miles, looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I am retired, drive very little, but lots of time to work on my "fleet". :biggrin: