Vanquard big block 35hp oil capacity

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Changed the oil and filter on a Vanguard 35hp big block yesterday. the manual shows 78-80 ounces of oil. After draining the oil, I poured in two quarts of oil, and the dipstick showed full. Started engine and let it finish filling the oil filter, and then rechecked the oil. Still showed full.

Has anybody else seen this 14-16 ounce oil difference on this engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Had that once many years ago in class, thought the student did not really put it all in. Ran the unit until hot and checked again, found that we had a bad non-OEM filter, oil never made it all the way through. Lucky we didn't burn up the upper bearings. I feel that the only thing that saved us, was my requirement that no bearings go together without Ultra-Slick assembly lube being over used, when doing any rebuild. Forgot to say it was not on a Briggs engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This was the 5 hour oil change after breakin. Using briggs 5w30 sythetic oil, and the briggs big block oil filter. I sent an email to my distributor tech support, to see what they have to say. While researching this I came across a guy with the same engine on a standby generator, and his only took 64 ounces also. They reason I want some sort of comfirmation is this engine is on a stump grinder, and is operated at extreme angles, and I want to make sure there is the proper amount of oil in the engine to get the maximum slope operation.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Talked with my distributor tech support today. The capacity given in the owners manual is the dry capacity. After the oil cooler, and all the passages are filled up, it may only take 64 ounces to change the oil, which is not close to what's in the manual.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for posting the answer. This is something I will have to file in the memory bank.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It may also be the reason that the owners manuals show 20 ounces for the small engines, but Briggs oil comes in 18 ounce bottles. Because there is about 2 ounces in a push mower that you can't drain.