Export thread

Vanguard Wiring

Q

qtband

I need help wiring this 18HP Vanguard. This is how I bought it. I plan on using this as a powerplant for a 6x6 vehicle. Someone obviously had their own idea about wiring. I just need to get things in order.
Help please!

Attachments

Boobala

Boobala

I need help wiring this 18HP Vanguard. This is how I bought it. I plan on using this as a powerplant for a 6x6 vehicle. Someone obviously had their own idea about wiring. I just need to get things in order.
Help please!

MIGHT try figuring out something from the OPPOSED TWIN wiring diagrams in this manual, be aware this is NOT engine specific !

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/m...rical from MA-S-1612 2004 Quick Reference.pdf

B

bertsmobile1

None of the wiring diagrams on the link Boo posted are applicable to your engine.

Briggs put out a nice little book called " engine alternator repower guide "
Google it then download the file.
There are a few diagrams showing the 2 yellow wire alternator which you have.
The only thing you are interested in is the pin out for the ignition switch.
Pull the blower housing off and locate the thine (kill ) wire to the coils.
This wire is either open circuit ( run) or closed to ground ( off ).
If it gets battery voltage for the tinest amount of time it will fry the trigger circuit inside the the coils and they will be very expensive toast.
As you have no blades you do not need a PTO switch, but a Neutral & Brake switch would be a good idea on a vehicle.
They are interupt switches which go on the starting circuit
If you are really safety conscious type then you can put one on the brake pedal as well so you have to be stationary, out of gear , with the parking brake on & have your foot on the brake to crank the engine.
Lights are of course a simple toggle switch.
Dont forget the fuse, in fact one on the lights and another on the ignition circuit would be good.
Most Vanguards have a low oil switch as well.

Do yourself a favour and get some car blade plug blocks so you can not accidently plug the wrong wires together.

The ignition switch should have tiny letters cast into the back identifing the terminals.

Q

qtband

Thanks for the help. I'll be trying to get this engine wired and ready in the next couple of days. Can someone tell me what the parts circled are?

Attachments

R

Rivets

The first smaller one is a relay. The second larger one is the voltage regulator. I couldn’t tell you what the relay was used for, because we don’t know what it came out of.

Q

qtband

I won't be needing the relay. Like you said, who knows what that was for. I did find out that this engine was on a commercial air compressor.

Boobala

Boobala

I won't be needing the relay. Like you said, who knows what that was for. I did find out that this engine was on a commercial air compressor.

When I see something like that "spaghetti-bowl" , I just wanna burn it and "sift the ashes" ( LOL ) ...here's a few very basic diagrams that should at least let you get the engine started ( if the carb has a shut-off solenoid that will have to be be wired in also ).....

BASIC STARTING DIAGRAM.png...ELECT  A (2).jpg...NEW STARTING.jpg

POST the numbers on this DATA PLATE ( model, type ) & we might be able to provide the original engine wiring diagram !!

1A INFO.PNG

Q

qtband

Here are the engine numbers:

Model: 356447

Type: 0125 E1

Code: 06101011

Boobala

Boobala

Here are the engine numbers:

Model: 356447

Type: 0125 E1

Code: 06101011

Here's your Engine Manual ( see page 49 ) for basic wiring ..... https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1yZHlwUk9CWlNwYVE/edit

and your Eng. specs. list ... https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ydlFCcEdfSEZ5N0E/edit

Keep us up-dated .......

Q

qtband

I will be getting out to the garage on Saturday. Hoping to get it running.

Boobala

Boobala

I will be getting out to the garage on Saturday. Hoping to get it running.

IF you're retired, TODAY, .. IS Saturday !! .. I don't hear it !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Q

qtband

IF you're retired, TODAY, .. IS Saturday !! .. I don't hear it !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

BRAGGER!!! I have about 6 years left.....and yes, I'm counting!

Boobala

Boobala

BRAGGER!!! I have about 6 years left.....and yes, I'm counting!

Believe it or NOT ! SOMETIMES ... retirement really sucks, wait till ya start missing your daily "work-a-day" routine & co-workers, then youll discover BOREDOM !! then you'll start little "projects" and takin care of "Honey-do's" THAT'S when you'll wonder why you NEVER have the time to get everything done that you want to. BUT it is nice to NOT HAVE to go to work, no alarm clocks, no fighting rush-hour traffic and many other things, my morning coffee break(s) last about 9 hours ... :laughing:..:laughing:

Q

qtband

Success! I started by taking off all the wiring and discarding most of it. I was left with only a few wires. Hooked one up to the + on the solenoid, black to ground, left the yellow where it was and she fired right up! I have since found out that this engine was originally on a commercial air compressor, which explains the pressure valve on the throttle. I removed it and had to adjust the idle. Now it idles and runs very good! I'll run some Seafoam in it to clean it out a little, but overall, A SUCCESS! Thanks everyone!

Boobala

Boobala

Success! I started by taking off all the wiring and discarding most of it. I was left with only a few wires. Hooked one up to the + on the solenoid, black to ground, left the yellow where it was and she fired right up! I have since found out that this engine was originally on a commercial air compressor, which explains the pressure valve on the throttle. I removed it and had to adjust the idle. Now it idles and runs very good! I'll run some Seafoam in it to clean it out a little, but overall, A SUCCESS! Thanks everyone!

WE just love to hear successful endings !! .. :thumbsup: