Valve Clearance

Smithsonite

Threads
I always go middle of the spec, but for motorcycles or anything with a shim-under-bucket valvetrain design, the valves will tighten with wear. On some OPE engines, this is opposite.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Correction needed, normal wear will cause the clearance to become less, not more. This is most commonly due to valve stem stretch.

Breezes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Correction needed, normal wear will cause the clearance to become less, not more. This is most commonly due to valve stem stretch.
So why do you have to readjust the clearance? I have never had to increase the clearance when readjusting during routine maintenance. If the valve seats and/or valve sealing surface is worn it could cause the clearance to become less.

Last edited:

bootface

Threads
Hello I have a Briggs Stratton 18.5 hp ohv so I looked up the Valve Clearance it’s .003/.005 intake and .005/.007 exhaust Not sure about the numbers for example intake is .003/.005 what one am I supposed to use the .003 or the .005 Simple enough to do I’m just not sure about what one to use Thanks for any info you can give me
I can't believe how dumb some people are. It's anywhere between 3 and 5 thou.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On L- head engines valve clearance will normally become less. On OHV engines the valve clearance will normally become more, due to rocker arm locks coming loose allowing the change, not wear.
Boot, I will gladly answer questions like this everyday of the week. It shows me that this person is reading the manual and trying to learn the right way to do the job. YOUR COMMENT IS WAY OUT OF LINE. Better to ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can't believe how dumb some people are. It's anywhere between 3 and 5 thou.
Look not everyone are well verse on equipment terms or specs. I imagine you didn't know how to do the paperwork after you went to bathroom yourself when you started not wearing diapers.

Even college educated people don't know everything nor a tech that been working on equipment for over 40 yrs knows everything. We all need help from time to time; although, most my questions are way above most here or on other forums. Sometime even the OEM can't answer them and have get back to me.

BTW we all have things we are good and bad at. So don't complain about someone asking about they don't know. I rather have someone asking then screwing up because they didn't.

Roymg

Threads
Hello I have a Briggs Stratton 18.5 hp ohv so I looked up the Valve Clearance it’s .003/.005 intake and .005/.007 exhaust Not sure about the numbers for example intake is .003/.005 what one am I supposed to use the .003 or the .005 Simple enough to do I’m just not sure about what one to use Thanks for any info you can give me
I kinda thought intake and exhaust valve settings are different for each and is why the two specs.

Jane

Threads
Not sure about yours but my B&S has a cam that holds the exhaust valve open at low speeds (a decompressor). If the valve clearances are too big this doesn't work correctly and the engine can be hard to turn over. You get the impression its a faulty starter or battery. Adjusting the valve clearance correctly can really makes a big difference to this.
Thank You

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not sure about yours but my B&S has a cam that holds the exhaust valve open at low speeds (a decompressor). If the valve clearances are too big this doesn't work correctly and the engine can be hard to turn over. You get the impression its a faulty starter or battery. Adjusting the valve clearance correctly can really makes a big difference to this.
In the Briggs 310000 series the ACR is on the intake as the head is a cross flow design and the intake is closest to the ACR on the camshaft. Matter of fact the 210000 (if I remember correctly), 280000, 310000, and 280000 series all use the same camshaft and head design.