Valve adjustment on E# 407677 0258E1

Poodlehead

Threads
Hi,

I read about valve adjustment to be done cold, on the compression stroke, TDC, 1/4" past TDC, etc so I finally just rotated the engine until there was the greatest gap. I tried to set the gap at .005"-.006", but I'm guessing that's not where they ended up.

The engine turns over like it has a weak battery, but I even put two good batteries in parallel and still turns over slow.

Would someone please tell me a simple way to properly adjust the value clearance and what gap to use on a BnS E#407677-0258E1? I've seen.003-.007". I'm guessing mine are too loose causing the extra compression?

Thank you in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rotate the engine until one of the valves on a cylinder is mostly to fully open and then adjust the opposite valve on that cylinder. Repeat for the other cylinder

Your engine uses .004-.006 for both intake and exhaust

Poodlehead

Threads
Rotate the engine until one of the valves on a cylinder is mostly to fully open and then adjust the opposite valve on that cylinder. Repeat for the other cylinder

I remember that option too. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

Poodlehead

Threads
I remember that option too. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

That did the trick. I finally got it started! I set a pretty tight(I think) clearance of .004" and was/almost impossible to stick.006" in. Based on that 'description', what clearance would you all call that?

Anyway, on to another issue. Thanks again!