Vakve asdustment spec and engine surging hot

Gramptractor

Threads
Here is the deal. I have a 1042 with the 19 HP Kohler Courage SV 590 engine. I adjusted the Valves to .0025 - .003, is that correct ? I thought this was in the ball park of other Kohlers I have looked up.

Here is what is happening, it runs great till it gets a little humid and warm out. Not hot, just maybe 68-70 deg and kind of humid. And the engine is warm and working fairly hard. Then the fuel starts dropping it's level in the filter and the engine starts to surge. Only two changes from last year: the valve adjustment and a huge backfire when I got off the tractor and accidentally not setting the brake and engine at full throttle ( wasn't thinking). When this occurs the filter is basically empty but when the machine cools down the filter fills back up, engine off full tank of gas. NO clue on that last item !

I have checked the pump but cold, it seems to pump fine. I changed the fuel filter, thought I had it till the weather got a bit warm again. Fuel siphons out from the tank fine if you lower the feed hose to the filter.

Any thoughts or similar experiences ?

Edit, sorry for the messy header !!!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Proper valve clearance is 0.076/0.127 mm (0.003/0.005 in.).

Check the vent in the tank (fuel). It may also be the coil going down when hot, check to see if you have spark next time it stops.

Gramptractor

Threads
Proper valve clearance is 0.076/0.127 mm (0.003/0.005 in.).

Check the vent in the tank (fuel). It may also be the coil going down when hot, check to see if you have spark next time it stops.

The last time it started doing this I took off the gas cap and the filter did not refill ( the filter is semi clear so I can see the fuel level in it, when it's doing this surging the level is at the very bottom of the filter).

I'm pretty sure I went under spec on one valve according to your settings. In fact should have left the valves alone as they would have been perfect ( .004). I suppose this could effect the fuel pump with the engine hot since it is a pulse pump. Next chance I get I will set them back to .004.

Thanks !

Gramptractor

Threads
The last time it started doing this I took off the gas cap and the filter did not refill ( the filter is semi clear so I can see the fuel level in it, when it's doing this surging the level is at the very bottom of the filter).

I'm pretty sure I went under spec on one valve according to your settings. In fact should have left the valves alone as they would have been perfect ( .004). I suppose this could effect the fuel pump with the engine hot since it is a pulse pump. Next chance I get I will set them back to .004.

Thanks !

OK, so I put the tractor on the trailer and took it up to where I work and dug back into it and readjusted the valves. I set them to .004 and put it back together. It was kind of humid out, so when back together again I fired it up and let it run at a high idle speed while I cleaned up my tools. Sure enough it started to spit a bit and then roll. I got a gas can with some gas and ran a line into that instead of off the cubs fuel tank. No change engine still running with a rock and roll. I disconnected the outlet line at the pump, it was flowing gas just fine. At this point I'm thinking carb and felt the fuel bowl, my finger touched the fuel shut off solenoid and I about jumped backwards it was so hot. Shut the engine down and took off the fuel bowl. I found sediment in the bottom, nothing huge. I cleaned everything up with carb cleaner and took out the needle to the fuel shut off and put it back together, left the wire off the solenoid. Let it run a good 20 minutes and it ran perfectly. I just cut the grass with the machine , it all ran really smooth, course had to shut the engine off after a cool down at idle.

I think this is the end of the mystery. Does a new solenoid come with a new needle ? I'll be needing both by the looks of them..

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well done in finding out what the problem is (was), I would replace the solenoid has one.:thumbsup: