Engine Used Craftsman issues

betsycam

Forum Newbie
Threads
We bought a used Craftsman self-propelled mower from a very nice gentleman who said he had the mower serviced within the past year professionally. He knocked the price down himself because the when he started it before we arrived he noticed it was surging. Well, for $70, we weren't too worried.

Model is 917.372840, bought in 1995 (whoa!). It looked in pretty good condition for its age.

Okay, so the first time or two it worked pretty well. Yes, it surged, but still got the job done.

This weekend, DH got it out to mow but couldn't get it started. Today I gave it a try, got it started, it surged, grass was too long so it stalled a couple of times. Shortened my mow width. Then, it died and I had trouble starting it. Noticed the pull cord didn't want to retract speedily as it had, as if the spring is sprung. If I fed it in, helped it along, it would retract all the way and allow me a strong enough pull to start it.

I started it in slow mode (I just read you're supposed to start it in "fast"), and the idle speed was consistent, but when I switch it to fast, that's when it would surge. But now, it would stall every time I put it in fast. I primed it, was able to start in slow, and again it would stall in fast. If I held the primer bulb in while in "fast," before it stalled, it would rev up strong. The primer bulb rubber appears to be cracked. I'm wondering if the bulb has just aged out and can't hold the seal it needs to keep the gas flowing (?).

So, two issues - the starter spring and the primer bulb. I've replaced a spring in another mower, no fun, but this thing isn't worth the money to take to a pro for repairs. On the parts list, I see only the carb - is the bulb part of the carb assembly as one part? I assume the carb was cleaned before, but might that be why it is surging?

Sorry so long!

Betsy

betsycam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I should add that the engine is model # 143.955500

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cross reference number for your engine is: TVS120-63920L. This is a Techumseh engine.

Here is a service manual. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/Tecumseh/Tecumseh L-Head.pdf

Here is a parts manual. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...ecumseh-Engine-Parts-Manual-TVS120-63920L.pdf

The primer definitely needs to be replaced. When you do so, I would give the carb a good bath and cleaning. Replace the gaskets and install a rebuild kit. This should take care of your starting and surging problem. Starter can be removed very easily and checked out. Look at the parts diagram.

betsycam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cross reference number for your engine is: TVS120-63920L. This is a Techumseh engine.

Here is a service manual. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/Tecumseh/Tecumseh L-Head.pdf

Here is a parts manual. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...ecumseh-Engine-Parts-Manual-TVS120-63920L.pdf

The primer definitely needs to be replaced. When you do so, I would give the carb a good bath and cleaning. Replace the gaskets and install a rebuild kit. This should take care of your starting and surging problem. Starter can be removed very easily and checked out. Look at the parts diagram.

Thanks so much, Rivets! This really helps!

Betsy
:smile:

betsycam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so today I tested my theory about the primer bulb and holding it in...mower still quit. I determined that the starter is rewind starter # 590702 , not the one with the rewind spring. So, for the poor recoil, which part needs to be replaced? the pulley & rewind spring assembly, or is it somethig to do with the dog spring (2 pieces)?

I will also do the carb cleaning and carb rebuild kit as you mentioned, Rivets (or I'll have my husband do it!). Just need to know what to order.

Betsy

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
590702 is the correct starter for your engine, before getting a new one, take it to your repair shop and see if they have a used one. I always have at least a half dozen of those laying around. The carb needs to be rebuild by you, not your husband, he has enough work to do. Sorry, I had to say it. Don't forget to replace that prime bulb and replace the float needle and seat while your at it. Just take it to your local repair shop and they can get you the correct parts. If you need part number I would need to see a picture of the carb, as they used two different types on that engine.