Unidentified metal piece fell out of oils drain

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now there is one possible way to inspect the governor and camshaft. You might be able to use an inspection camera but it will be tricky to get it position right.
A good camera will fit through the dip stick opening on a single after the tube is removed and should have a mirror for the end to see at right angles to the tube.
Good = expensive so that excludes the junk from HF / Lowes / Walmart
The cheaper ones are thicker but I use my cheap one a lot to show customers worn out bores on push mower engines, saves a lot of work.
Add a strong penlight torch shone up inlet or exhaust they can see faulty valves
The slightly better quality one will go into the crankcase via the dip stick tube & I use it on 31 & 33 series engines to show customers failed ACR's and to confirm a failed counterbalance
It will not go up the oil drain as it fouls on the internals .
I keep on telling myself I will buy a medical quality endoscope most of which have lenses that point forward & at right angles to the head but they are a touch too expensive for my pocket, but the option of colour is tempting

Gord Baker

Threads
You must have a large drain pipe if they came out of it.
To me it resembles the governor weights described above but not exactly.
There are 2 and it appears one broke in half.
There may be a pin down in the crankcase as well. My reference is the Tecumseh Manual Section 8, 2-18.

Athor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be the oil dipper/slinger?

bojo3919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Works the other way round
Without a functioning governor the engine will race away till it revs past the tensile limit of the connecting rod then it stops forever .
...Or it may only rev up until the valves float?

MowManMow

Threads
If it where mine Id open it up before more damage occurs. It can be your oil slinger, gov and possibly nothing that creates any future damage but if its worth keeping Id open it up.
Look into the cost of your engine replacement vs repair generally helps people decide much faster...lol

porkchopz32

Forum Newbie
Threads
While changing the oil on my snowblower (tecumseh HMSK80 engine) a metal piece fell out of the pipe that drains the oil. Photo attached. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks!

While changing the oil on my snowblower (tecumseh HMSK80 engine) a metal piece fell out of the pipe that drains the oil. Photo attached. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks!View attachment 59451
It looks like the governor weight or weights split at the faster that attaches it to the governor gear. I highlighted in a photo of the governor gear where the curve of the piece matches your part. I theorize that this could be from one or both weights splitting. I scanned the parts diagram at Jacks Small Engine and this is the only likely match I found for that model. YouTube University might offer some help in a plan to remove the side cover to access the governor. Taryl has one with a Tecumseh rebuild.

Attachments

• governor1.jpg
    governor1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 6

Joed756

Threads
It doesn't look like you have all the pieces anyway, so opening and carefully inspecting the crankcase should be your first step.