Uneven cut

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There could be a number of things out of whack.
First of all we don’t know if your mower is a tractor, zero turn or walk behind.
Please provide the model number and serial number.

terrye

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem with my Craftsman T140 when I first got it. I must have checked the left to right adjustment a dozen times. Every time I did it, it looked nearly perfect while in the garage on a nice, level concrete floor, but when I went out and mowed, it was still slightly off. I finally ignored the normal and usual method of leveling and deliberately gave an extra 1/2" to the lower side. It worked. I got that tidbit from an old time mower repair guy in this area. He said that a lot of the MTD and other middle of the road mowers just allowed the deck to pull "cockeyed" to one side under load because of slightly inferior construction materials. That's not a jab at any of the machines or their owners. It's just an observation an old timer had made. It worked for me. Just compensate for the amount of unevenness and set the deck slightly slanted.
I finally found the problem, after having the Cub dealer to level the blades I took the deck off myself and to my surprise one blade is lower than the other. So even when the dealer tells you it’s right but you may need to get on the forum and check with the many people here. Thanks for the input.

terrye

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar problem with my Craftsman T140 when I first got it. I must have checked the left to right adjustment a dozen times. Every time I did it, it looked nearly perfect while in the garage on a nice, level concrete floor, but when I went out and mowed, it was still slightly off. I finally ignored the normal and usual method of leveling and deliberately gave an extra 1/2" to the lower side. It worked. I got that tidbit from an old time mower repair guy in this area. He said that a lot of the MTD and other middle of the road mowers just allowed the deck to pull "cockeyed" to one side under load because of slightly inferior construction materials. That's not a jab at any of the machines or their owners. It's just an observation an old timer had made. It worked for me. Just compensate for the amount of unevenness and set the deck slightly slanted.
I finally found the problem, after having the Cub dealer to level the blades I took the deck off myself and to my surprise one blade is lower than the other. So even when the dealer tells you it’s right but you may need to get on the forum and check with the many people here. Thanks for the input.

terrye

Forum Newbie
Threads
There could be a number of things out of whack.
First of all we don’t know if your mower is a tractor, zero turn or walk behind.
Please provide the model number and serial number.
Tractor,Cub Cadet, model #20371, serial number 1L134H10236. I know now that part of the problem, at least, is one blade is lower than the other and a possible bent deck.
Terry

terrye

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tractor,Cub Cadet, model #20371, serial number 1L134H10236. I know now that part of the problem, at least, is one blade is lower than the other and a possible bent deck.
Terry
Model number is 203712

smhardesty

Threads
What model number is actually on the side of the hood? I'm not sure where you pulled that model number from, but the Cub Cadet site confirmed my thinking that that is not a valid model number for a Cub lawn tractor. Doing an Internet search for that model number returns lots of results for a 22" Toro Recycler self-propelled walk behind.

Also, you say one blade is lower than the other. How did you determine that? You stated you took the deck off, but then how did you go about measuring the height of each blade. What was your reference point?

EDIT: As a matter of fact, some photos of the tractor, the deck, and how you are measuring would be very helpful to those of us trying to guide you.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing I would do is get the mower deck out from under it and place it on a level surface. That way, you can look it over good. You will then know what to do next. If the deck is bent too bad, you may need a new deck.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing I would do is get the mower deck out from under it and place it on a level surface
Agreed, thorough inspection on flat / level surface..

terrye

Forum Newbie
Threads
What model number is actually on the side of the hood? I'm not sure where you pulled that model number from, but the Cub Cadet site confirmed my thinking that that is not a valid model number for a Cub lawn tractor. Doing an Internet search for that model number returns lots of results for a 22" Toro Recycler self-propelled walk behind.

Also, you say one blade is lower than the other. How did you determine that? You stated you took the deck off, but then how did you go about measuring the height of each blade. What was your reference point?

EDIT: As a matter of fact, some photos of the tractor, the deck, and how you are measuring would be very helpful to those of us trying to guide you.
I turned the blades until the ends were nearly perpendicular and the moved them until the opposite ends were perpendicular each time the left blade, sitting on the tractor, was lower. As far as the model number I can attach a copy. Model is 203712

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I turned the blades until the ends were nearly perpendicular and the moved them until the opposite ends were perpendicular each time the left blade, sitting on the tractor, was lower. As far as the model number I can attach a copy. Model is 203712
So, the blade tips are not level with one another?
You need to get the deck out from under it and give it a good inspection.
There could be any number of things wrong.