Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply

greynold99

Threads
  • / Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply
Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about the 158 cc engine mounted on the Huskee branded MTD mowers carried by Tractor Supply?
I picked up a 21" Hi-Wheel mower at Tractor Supply farm store over the weekend when they had 'em on special for $50 off regular price.
When I put it together yesterday, (...and I did forget to pack the Model #'s for the mower and engine today to include with this post) but the first things I noticed were:
1. No primer bulb, automatic choke;
2. Engine oil drain plug is above the mower deck below the oil fill tube, not below mower deck where the blade is - making it easier to change oil;
3. from the manual, there is apparently a small, long cylindrical fuel filter in the gas line where it connects to the fuel tank - not sure about how I feel about this, particularly if the filter's always needing replaced;

Apparently not a Briggs & Stratton engine though I didn't see any name beyond MTD when I was putting it together.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about these mowers and particularly the reliability of the engine.
So far from what I've seen, I like it but I haven't even started it, much less mowed with it. But it appears to be a better built hi-wheel mower than the Weedeater 500 I got 5 years ago. Deck seems more substantial and I believe the Huskee is slightly heavier as a result.
The other thing I like about it, is the mower deck height control is TWO levers - one for both Front Wheels and second single lever for the Rear Wheels; there's a control rod connecting each set of wheels - again a little more weight as a result but much more convenient for quick height adjustment.

Let me know what you think and what insights you have on this engine.

One last thing, when I bought it they were really pushing the additive from Stabil gas additive that takes cares of the Ethanol added to gas nowadays.
I didn't purchase it but wondered what professionals thought of the specific additive or could you just add a few drops of Stabil to do the same thing?
Thanks,
Greynold99

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply
Re: Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply

Sounds like the China manufactured engine under the MTD quality guidelines. Supposedly the normal failure rate for engines is 1%. MTD is claiming a warranty claim rate of 1/2%. I don't see many problems with the engine, but MTD isn't as big in my area as it was years ago. I see a lot of the MTD, Troybilt, Murrays with either Briggs, Kohler, or Hondas.

They are now running a larger rider engine on some of the Cub Cadets, and troybilts

greynold99

Threads
Re: Type of engine on Huskee (MTD) 21"/158cc Hi Wheel mower carried by Tractor Supply

Update... I forgot to mention that I purchased the Hi-Wheel model for doing some particulary rough hillside areas with high grass and occasional stumps.
Since posting I did not take this mower out until last night after I'd gotten caught up on the 'riding' and some of the 'trim push mowing' with my older Murray 3.75 hp mower.

On startup I was amazed - Took only one pull to start after filling with gas and ran quieter than any of my 3 other Briggs & Stratton push mowers.
Deck design is a bit heavier than that on my Weedeater 500 (158 cc B&S) another Hi-Wheel mower I have.
Appears to be fairly fuel efficient too - I ran it well over an hour on the one tank cutting all the border-area hi-grass and a 1/4 acre hill side that's too rough to do with my Cub Cadet.

I have to say ILENGINE, when you said the engine was made in China, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew that beforehand given all the recent publicity of things 'Made in China'... But at this point, I'd have to say I like it and believe it's worth the money.
greynold99

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads

The engine plant is in China, but the MTD quality control personnel are on hand at all times, and will reject anything that doesn't meet the MTD standards. They are using the MTD engine manufactured in China on yardman, cub cadet, troybilt, bolens tillers, push mowers, riders, snowthrowers, etc. There was some bugs in the beginning when they started to use their own engines in 2006, but were quickly worked out.