Export thread

Two Stroke, or Four Stroke ?

jmurray01

jmurray01

If you had the option of buying a mower with a Two Stroke engine, or a Four Stroke engine, what would you choose ?

K

KennyV

I will guess you are referring to a much older 2 cycle mower as they have not made a 2 cycle mower in quite a while... So it would depend on the condition of the engine/mower....

New mowers are available in 4 cycle so if I were looking for a new mower, small engine, single blade system... I guess I would look at what was available.... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

jmurray01

I will guess you are referring to a much older 2 cycle mower as they have not made a 2 cycle mower in quite a while... So it would depend on the condition of the engine/mower....

New mowers are available in 4 cycle so if I were looking for a new mower, small engine, single blade system... I guess I would look at what was available.... :smile:KennyV
I have nothing against 2 Stroke engines, and when I buy a trimmer, it will obviously have a 2 Stroke engine, as I don't have money for those new "Mini 4 Stroke" things, but in a mower, I wouldn't want to be mixing oil and fuel.

Plus, I prefer the low pitched noise a 4 Stroke makes, rather than the high pitched scream of a 2 Stroke.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have nothing against 2 Stroke engines, and when I buy a trimmer, it will obviously have a 2 Stroke engine, as I don't have money for those new "Mini 4 Stroke" things, but in a mower, I wouldn't want to be mixing oil and fuel.

Plus, I prefer the low pitched noise a 4 Stroke makes, rather than the high pitched scream of a 2 Stroke.

The old (I'm talking '70s vintage) Lawn-Boy two-strokes are about the quietest mowers you can find. It's not so much a two- vs. four-stroke thing but they had huge mufflers, mounted under the deck.

It's too bad they're not made anymore -- at least in the hyper-regulated USA. :confused2:

M

Mac 624

We run a SABO 43 cm with a Suzuki 2stroke engine, built in 1992 and Toro with Kawasaki 2stroke. Both have been bought used and they give us a lot of Value for the money. They run much quieter than the Briggs we had before on the Mountfield and Viking Mowers and use much less fuel, even as we have to mix.

They bags are always filled completely, and they SABO is easy to push, cause it is not a selfdriven.

S

sss

4 stroke all the time its runs smoother is quiteryou dont have to faf about mixing oil allroun better :banana:

D

Dallas Burgher

Two strokes are hard to beat for power, light weight, and lubrication in hilly terrain.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Two strokes are hard to beat for power, light weight, and lubrication in hilly terrain.

Well put -- it's a shame you can't buy them new anymore in the US.

What are you supposed to do if you have to do a lot of mowing in hilly areas? Keep burning up and replacing four-stroke engines?

My solution has been to acquire a new hobby: collecting and fixing up old two-stroke mowers. :wink:

D

Dallas Burgher

John Deere used to make a four stroke that had an oil pump. I don' t know if that is still true.

J

jamesslcx

I like them both! Right now I dont have a two-stroke but I am always looking, both have good points.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

If you had the option of buying a mower with a Two Stroke engine, or a Four Stroke engine, what would you choose ?

2 Strokes hands down! I wish someone made a 20 to 30 HP vertical shaft 2 stroke engine I could put on my riding mower.

They are lighter, rev up quicker and you don't have to check the oil before using it or change it and have to dispose of it. Mixing it is a bit messy but that's just one disadvantage to it.

What's going to happen when they ban 2 stroke chainsaws? How can you cut a tree down with the blade at a 90 degree angle without seizing the engine? I could possibly see a 4 stroke trimmer (if you don't get too radical say trying to cut honeysuckle vines from a tree over my head like I do) and a leaf blower but that's about it.

I love 2 strokes so much I have a 2 cycle powered car:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant

Yeah I go through A LOT of 2 cycle oil with this baby!

K

KennyV

I love 2 strokes so much I have a 2 cycle powered car:

Trabant Photos by turbofiat | Photobucket

Yeah I go through A LOT of 2 cycle oil with this baby!

Those old Trabant's are cute ... but I sure would Not want to be in an area with a Lot of them... Lots of smoke... BUT you don't have to worry much about the body rusting...
I didn't know there were many of them in the States... :smile:KennyV

M

motoman

Simplicity and great power: the 2 stroke. A shame they cannot clean em up enough. I'd buy a rider in a minute.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I kinda agree with KennyV in that when I saw this poll my first thought was string trimmer not mower(since there are still 2 & 4 stroke trimmers available but only 4 stroke mowers currently available as far as I know). And the move towards 4-stroke "dominance" is by far an EPA "green" initiative to cut down on the denser emissions from a 2-stroke "burning oil by design". But sadly, "green initiatives" are not always in the consumer's best interest(can you spell ethanol in gasoline:0(
Since we are on the subject, I might mention the 2-stroke 125HP Mercury outboard on my 1999 Sprint Fish & Ski boat. With the trend of new outboards going to 4-strokes I'm just waiting for the "EPA shoe to drop" that will ban my engine requiring me to spend several thousand dollers to replace something that works just fine(it just smokes a little and maybe releases a little oil into our lakes & streams). I voted for the 4-stroke simply because I see the writing on the walls that eventually the EPA will ban all 2-stroke engine applications if nothing is done to stop them. And what that might be.......I don't know!!!