Export thread

Two issues... starting and steering.

M

mjbuck

I have two current problems with my Craftsman Lawn Tractor. It is model number 917.273372. First, I have trouble starting it. This issue has been an off and on issue for the last two cutting seasons. I've brought it to local repair shops, but the problems persists. You can crank the key and the starter can barely turn over the engine. I've changed the starter (2x) with no luck. New battery (2x) and still no luck. I was told the problem could be a pressure relief switch (?) that releases the pressure in the pistons when cranking it over. This allows the engine to crank over easy. Now, my terminology might be all wrong, but basically, the lawn mower seems to labor terribly when being cranked. Ironically, it will then start on the next try or the next day or in an hour or not for three days. There is just no rhyme nor reason when it will or won't start. Try it many times over the course of several hours.. nothing. Try it later and it starts like brand new. It appears it is worse when it is cold out (60 or below). I've even let it sit in the sun with the hood open to let the engine warm that way and it seems to help some, or it is just a coincidence. Who knows? Nobody around here seems to.

Secondly, on the last cut of the season, my front steering went horribly wrong. The left tire points way to the left and the right tire way to the right. I just took it out of storage for the year and have not had a chance to get under it and look. I thought since I was posting the first question, I would post this too. Any idea what the problem is? I can then shop for the parts and repair it myself.

R

Rivets

First problem, I would start by pulling the valve cover and check the valve clearances.

Second problem, broken ball joint on the steering arm. Will need to replace.

You also have a third problem, get a new repair shop. Looks to me like they are throwing parts at it, instead of solving the problem.

S

SeniorCitizen

First problem, I would start by pulling the valve cover and check the valve clearances.

Second problem, broken ball joint on the steering arm. Will need to replace.

You also have a third problem, get a new repair shop. Looks to me like they are throwing parts at it, instead of solving the problem.

I couldn't have said it better myself and I'm pretty darn good.:laughing:

B

bertsmobile1

Normally I don't do me too's
But Rivets got it right.
get a new repair shop or bring your problems here & buy your parts from his competitor.
Some shops should not be allowed to remain open.
When you fix it don't forget to tell all your friends just how much they fleeced you for and just how easy the fix was.

B

bertsmobile1

Sears service on line should have the owners manual and parts break down.
Post the engine make & numbers and we will point you towards a source of information.
No question is too trivial or stupid to get answered just remember that you are the eyes & ears and we are the hands.