Twin Briggs Engine

edmondo2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been thinking about attempting to build a twin Briggs and stratton engine out of spares I own from torn down engines. My only problem is that the parts are for vertical shaft engines and I dont particularly know if it would be possible and if it was how easy it would be to do with only a small amount of tools. Your opinions and tips would be incredibly welcome.
Thankyou

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes it can be done. I would purchase a twin cylinder manual or locate one online.

edmondo2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Absolutely yes it can be done. I would purchase a twin cylinder manual or locate one online.

My only issue would be the orientation of the engines so that the final product is not a ridiculous eye-sore. I would prefer the engine to have one pulling mechanism, which would then start both engines, but I have no idea of how I would achieve this, do you have any ideas?

RoperGuy

Threads
Might have to expand on this one, are you trying to Change the orientation of an engine, horizontal to vertical shaft ? Assuming you can piece something back together?. And a basic set of tools is really all you really need.

edmondo2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Might have to expand on this one, are you trying to Change the orientation of an engine, horizontal to vertical shaft ? Assuming you can piece something back together?. And a basic set of tools is really all you really need.

No, I am trying to create a dual engine made from two vertical shafted lawn mower engines and put the together to make 2 engines run by a single crankshaft, if that makes sense.

RoperGuy

Threads
I would say no that's pretty advanced your better off to buy a used twin cylinder

RoperGuy

Threads
Now you can still run a dual engine, that's not hard but I would still start them one at a time, you will have separate carbs yes?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, I am trying to create a dual engine made from two vertical shafted lawn mower engines and put the together to make 2 engines run by a single crankshaft, if that makes sense.

No what you are saying makes no sense at all.
You can not run 2 cylinders on a single crank.
You can bolt the 2 cranks together to make one crank.
Otherwise you need a two journal crank or a built up crank that runs knife & fork rollers aka old Harleys.
If you bolt the cranks together, one must have a ball race to keep the rods central in the bores or they will both need to be shimmed.
Changing the orientation of the crank has some problems unless you are using a late model engine that has pressure feed to all 3 journals.
Vertical shafts have a well on the top & bottom of the cases to provide lubrication to the upper & lower bush.
These will not work properly if the oil well is standing on it's side.
Some govenors will not work properly if they get rotated either.
There is a good reason why horizontal shaft engines cost nearly twice what a vertical shaft one does.
Vertical shafts are used almost exclusively on mowers.
Most are designed for a 10 year life at 50 hours a year ie 500 hrs = rebuild
Horizontal shaft engines are also designed for a 10 year life, at 40 hours a week so 4000 hrs = rebuild

The exception to this is Honda who build all their engines to horizontal shaft specs, so they are expensive which is why very few mower companies offer a Honda engine anymore.
People simply will not pay for the extra quality.
If you want to come clean about the end use then there are ways to change the orientation of the PTO which will be a lot easier than changing the orientation of the engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a MAJOR undertaking to me, IF ya really want multi-cylinders and phenominal headaches ........... try an aircraft type small radial engine , that should occupy a good portion of your time !! :confused2: