Turf Tiger won't crank

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I would carrying mower to a confident shop...As electrical work can be messy if you don't know what you are doing. I had guys to spend several hundred dollars trying fix a problem to only bring the equipment in and I find a fifty cent terminal bad. of course the cost of terminals is going up as every thing else.

Bertrrr

Threads
If you jump ( bypass ) the solenoid and it kicks off , your starter is good but either your solenoid is bad or you have a bad connection - wire causing an open circuit or your ignition switch is not working right.

Hayward51

Threads
If you jump ( bypass ) the solenoid and it kicks off , your starter is good but either your solenoid is bad or you have a bad connection - wire causing an open circuit or your ignition switch is not working right.
I have changed out the solenoid and it made no difference. What I don't understand, when I connect the trigger wire to the solenoid, it grounds out immediately.??
BTW - I've also changed the wallowed out ignition switch.

Bertrrr

Threads
Check what you're calling the " trigger"wire for ground,
The wire should have 12 volts on it in the start position , nothing while in Run or off , start there, Possibly you have the wrong wire as Trigger wire ? or landing it on the wrong terminal

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mower side wiring
1722686554062.png
As for the engine wiring there is only 187 different Kohler CH25 engines. Most uses a solenoid shift starter but a few used an starter with a remote solenoid.

Hayward51

Threads
Mower side wiring
View attachment 69384
As for the engine wiring there is only 187 different Kohler CH25 engines. Most uses a solenoid shift starter but a few used an starter with a remote solenoid.
Check what you're calling the " trigger"wire for ground,
The wire should have 12 volts on it in the start position , nothing while in Run or off , start there, Possibly you have the wrong wire as Trigger wire ? or landing it on the wrong terminal
I have full battery voltage (12.8V) in start position on green/white wire from the relay to the engine connector. I see it there until I touch it to the tab on solenoid.

rhkraft

Threads
You say it won't start, but does it turn over? In the past, did the starter struggle to turn the engine over? Does it try to turn over, but doesn't seem to have the power to do it? If this is happening, pull the spark plug. If it cranks Ok now, the problem could be that the valves need adjusting. Most of these more modern engines have compression release built into the cam shaft to leave the exhaust valve open slightly as the piston goes up, and then the valve closes during last part of the compression cycle. This makes the engine easier to crank. If the exhaust valve clearance to the push rod is too much the remains closed and there is too much compression for the starter. Adjust the valves precisely. This is a 4 cycle, right? I've seen this before and a new starter won't solve it. Rope pulls are also very hard under these circumstances.

Hayward51

Threads
You say it won't start, but does it turn over? In the past, did the starter struggle to turn the engine over? Does it try to turn over, but doesn't seem to have the power to do it? If this is happening, pull the spark plug. If it cranks Ok now, the problem could be that the valves need adjusting. Most of these more modern engines have compression release built into the cam shaft to leave the exhaust valve open slightly as the piston goes up, and then the valve closes during last part of the compression cycle. This makes the engine easier to crank. If the exhaust valve clearance to the push rod is too much the remains closed and there is too much compression for the starter. Adjust the valves precisely. This is a 4 cycle, right? I've seen this before and a new starter won't solve it. Rope pulls are also very hard under these circumstances.
It cranks and starts fine when I jump the solenoid. I'm still tracing the wiring problem.