Turf Tiger digital hour meter

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I have a new Turf Tiger and the digital hour meter stopped working at 15.3 hours. It is still lit but not counting the hours. What do you think is wrong with the meter?

Thanks for all the replies.

-bobby

scott47429

Threads
Check the fuse if ok then replace it

Bobby Boyd

Threads
From what I can tell from the wiring diagram, the meter is fused in with the pto. The pto works fine. I am suspicious of the meter itself. Also, if the fuse were blown the meter would not remain lit.

Thanks for your reply.

-bobby

plateauman57

Threads
i bought a new turf tiger and had a problem with the hour meter (along with several other items). at first it went out completely but that was tied into something else. but when they fixed that i got my mower back and it was doing as yours, the display was showing but it didn't move. they mentioned it could have been a ground wire but i didn't buy that. my mower was a lemon and i eventually got them to give me a new one so i don't know what they did. good luck

Steve0853

Threads
I have a similar problem.

I got a new Turf Tiger about a month ago.

I've burned about 5 tanks of gas out of it and it the hour meter is showing about 9 hours.

It works, but it seems to be showing about 1/4 of the actual hours.

It has the new Kohler 31 hp Aegis engine and otherwise is one fine machine.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last year the hour meter on my 2008 Tiger Cub stopped adding time. Scag dealer had new ones in stock from a different vendor. Hour meters do have a non replacable battery in them which keeps the display live and they should add time in tenths of an hour with the key in the on position.
This is the first hour meter that I have had a problem with in many years on many machines, but my first solid state meter.

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I got a new meter from the scag dealer (Chilton's in Nashville) at no charge (under warranty). Taking the old meter out was fairly easy but removing that bumper was not. Anyway, I put the new meter in and actually haven't run it yet. After finally getting the bumper off I applied a light coat of grease before putting it back on. It went on a lot easier than taking it off did. My guess would be just a bad batch of meters. It either works or it doesn't. The new meter must have a battery to keep it lit because it says 0.0 on it.

I've had very few problems with my turf tiger other than the meter. I think the meter was made in indonesia and is sold by 483537 Scag Scag Parts OEM Scag Scag Electrical System Parts Scag Electrical System Parts.

Thanks again,

-bobby

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Well...my new digital hour meter is still saying 0.0 after mowing for an hour yesterday. :(

I also noticed that my ammeter is reading like a negative 10 (-10 amps) when the blades are engaged. This has been the case for the last 2 to 3 times I've mowed but didn't think anything about it at the time. Now I realize this isn't normal. The manual says it should only read negative at start up. If it is a fuse issue what would cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks for your replies,

-bobby

plateauman57

Threads
Well...my new digital hour meter is still saying 0.0 after mowing for an hour yesterday. :(

I also noticed that my ammeter is reading like a negative 10 (-10 amps) when the blades are engaged. This has been the case for the last 2 to 3 times I've mowed but didn't think anything about it at the time. Now I realize this isn't normal. The manual says it should only read negative at start up. If it is a fuse issue what would cause the fuse to blow?

Thanks for your replies,

-bobby

Replied to your message but wanted to post here for others to see. When you turn your key on the hour meter should flash. If it does not then there is probably a blown fuse. This was one of the problems with mine. The blown fuse caused the hour meter not to work, the amp meter to go haywire, and the battery wasn't charging. They weren't able to determine what caused the fuse to blow.

Good luck,
dj

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Well...changed hour meter and the new one reads 0.0 and is not advancing with the engine running. My ammeter problem was a bad voltage regulator. They replaced the regulator. They also said my wires were crossed at the ammeter (causing it to read negative). Asked if I had changed them. Of course not!. I did have the light kit put on by dealer in March 2012 (purchased TT in January 2012) and it is possible that they were crossed then. What are chances of a meter going bad and another (new) being bad. Anyway, the mechanic said it was working when it left the shop. I doubt it. It would have been reading something other that 0.0. It's interesting the new meter does flicker 093.4 when the engine is running. Wonder what that's about?

Anyway, this beyond frustrating.

-bobby