Export thread

Tuff Torq K57 Transmission

H

Haine2

Hello all. I am new here. I just bought a new Simplicity Broadmoor Lawn Tractor 23/44 last May. It's has the Tuff Torq K57 transmission. I bought this tractor to hopefully run me for many years. NO problems with it at all...love it.
But...........I have a hilly yard to mow and seeing here on the internet...in five to 10years, the transmission may burn up because of my hilly yard......
Is this true??
Is this something I am going to have to worry about?

Thanks.............

M

mechanic mark

No, i have same tractor 2010 year model, 420 hrs. on machine. Read manuals thoroughly to familiarize yourself with tractor. post your 7 digit model number, thanks, Mark.

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en...roductmanuals.html?searchrequested=2691467-01

You're quite welcome Haine2. Just a few tips, use leaf blower after mowing on tractor, no water, washing tractor with water will create multiple problems, electrical & mechanical major issues.
Grease tractor with grease gun per instructions in manual, mine was not greased from dealer. Grease steering sector & pinion gears thoroughly by hand, i wear nitrite rubber gloves. I grease these gears at every service. Check air pressure in tires monthly if not sooner. Always use OEM parts whether Simplicity, Briggs & Stratton, etc. If you have any questions just post them. We have a large group of professional individuals on this website, ready, willing, & able to assist folks.

H

Haine2

No, i have same tractor 2010 year model, 420 hrs. on machine. Read manuals thoroughly to familiarize yourself with tractor. post your 7 digit model number, thanks, Mark.

Thank You Mark. I really appreciate your reply
Model No. of my tractor is 2691467-01

H

Haine2

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en...roductmanuals.html?searchrequested=2691467-01

You're quite welcome Haine2. Just a few tips, use leaf blower after mowing on tractor, no water, washing tractor with water will create multiple problems, electrical & mechanical major issues.
Grease tractor with grease gun per instructions in manual, mine was not greased from dealer. Grease steering sector & pinion gears thoroughly by hand, i wear nitrite rubber gloves. I grease these gears at every service. Check air pressure in tires monthly if not sooner. Always use OEM parts whether Simplicity, Briggs & Stratton, etc. If you have any questions just post them. We have a large group of professional individuals on this website, ready, willing, & able to assist folks.

Thanks again so much.....yep..I will give you guys a holler :smile:

H

Haine2

And Thanks for the Link Mark

C

CMB1

Hi Mark, I'm Mike and just joined the forum today. I bought a new Broadmoor yesterday,should be delivered later this week. I need to wait on the dealer to get the Mulch Kit and install it, before they deliver.You mentioned a leaf blower for cleaning, is there any reason I shouldn't use my Air Compressor? Thanks for any help/advise!

M

mechanic mark

Hi Mark, I'm Mike and just joined the forum today. I bought a new Broadmoor yesterday,should be delivered later this week. I need to wait on the dealer to get the Mulch Kit and install it, before they deliver.You mentioned a leaf blower for cleaning, is there any reason I shouldn't use my Air Compressor? Thanks for any help/advise!
Air compressor is just fine, just don't use water.

wrldtvlr

wrldtvlr

is there any reason I shouldn't use my Air Compressor?

My experience is that it depends on the size of your air tank. My 2.5 gallon tank didn't provide enough volume to do a decent job of blowing enough air to reach across the entire deck or behind the motor.

C

CMB1

My experience is that it depends on the size of your air tank. My 2.5 gallon tank didn't provide enough volume to do a decent job of blowing enough air to reach across the entire deck or behind the motor.
Thanks for the reply, mine's pretty old but it's a 150 psi model,so it should be enough. If not, then it's a good excuse to have to buy a new one! :sneaky:

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My bro in law has an older Broadmoor model 1962776. It has held up pretty well for the use it gets. He mows a pretty rough farm yard. It has the big hydro gear trans vs the newer tuff torq. It probably has well over 1000 hours on it. Just last week had to replace the steering sector and pinion. He mows the edge of a 1/4 mile long gravel drive and the dust is insane. I have to pressure wash it everytime i work on it. Had to weld up the front deck mount where rough yard beats it up and replace the idlers and bearings in the deck last year.

M

mechanic mark

My bro in law has an older Broadmoor model 1962776. It has held up pretty well for the use it gets. He mows a pretty rough farm yard. It has the big hydro gear trans vs the newer tuff torq. It probably has well over 1000 hours on it. Just last week had to replace the steering sector and pinion. He mows the edge of a 1/4 mile long gravel drive and the dust is insane. I have to pressure wash it everytime i work on it. Had to weld up the front deck mount where rough yard beats it up and replace the idlers and bearings in the deck last year.
That is why you should not use water to clean tractor, creates corrosion wearing out bearings & electrical parts prematurely.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

That is why you should not use water to clean tractor, creates corrosion wearing out bearings & electrical parts prematurely.
I have pressure washed it every year i do annual maint on it. Over a dozen times. No electrical problems and the deck bearings were about 7 years old with lots of hard hours. He mows a farm yard that is very rough and sometimes doubles as a mini bushhog. The mower has held up quite well for 15+ years of hard use.

M

Mrjak2u

Air compressor is just fine, just don't use water.
Hey Mark you said don’t use water why. The motor is not hot. I screwed up and used water. Afterwords started my mower ran great pulled off everything still good engaged the mowing deck everything still good then when I pulled off to start cutting grass it moved about a foot and that’s it. Trying to troubleshoot it, any idea?

wrldtvlr

wrldtvlr

Water under pressure forces its way into electrical connections - creates shorts and corrosion. It also forces its way into grease bearings.

M

mechanic mark

Hey Mark you said don’t use water why. The motor is not hot. I screwed up and used water. Afterwords started my mower ran great pulled off everything still good engaged the mowing deck everything still good then when I pulled off to start cutting grass it moved about a foot and that’s it. Trying to troubleshoot it, any idea?
Pick up a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner & unplug then spray then reconnect all electrical connections one at a time. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

B

bertsmobile1

People who pressure wash daily know how to direct the spray so that it does not cause more problems than it fixes
I have a low pressure electric unit I use for most stuff around the workshop and a big unit that will take paint off .
Joe average goes into the hardwear shop and sees a 1200psi ( more than enough pressure for nearly every job ) unit, a 1500 psi unit and for only $ 50 more a 3000 psi unit so they buy the bigger one because bigger must be better.
Even the small unit will blast water right past seals & into spindles & bearings, strip the grease off pivots & pins etc.
Now this would be fine if the mowers was run for 10 minutes to heat it up & expel the water then regreased but usually it is just sent to the shed .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I guess i am the evil shop. I pressure wash pretty much every mower than comes through the shop. I have the engine at full throttle and i stay away from the electrics. I usually let it run for 15 to 20 mins after i wash it. Been doing it for many years. I have done some mowers every year for 10 years. Haven't had any electrical issues on the mowers but i do expect all life as we know it to become extinct because of it. I use a hammer to remove flywheels, i don't use synthetic oil, i don't set valves at TDC. I use E10 gas, What a hack.

350Rocket

Do you find the hydro gear transmissions hold up better than the tuff torq? I have a 2006 cub cadet lt1050 with 300 hours on it (came with the house we just bought). I'm trying to figure out if I can change the fluid. Information online is very hard to find.
My dad has a 2003 craftsman with a 48” deck, probably a similar transmission (both MTD I believe) and it has over 1100 hours. He hasn't changed the fluid because his manual told him it was sealed. He did have to weld the deck as he does some very rough work with it.

S

Shipperdave

I have a 2015 Simplicity Broadmoor tractor...it has about 300 hours and the transmission (tuff torque K57) started to have issues last fall. The tractor was slow in reverse, then no reverse. I have pulled the axle and changed the fluid even though it is supposed to be non-servicable. I since then replaced the fluid again with 5W-50 synthetic has I did not have the correct weight of fluid initially. When I changed it the second time, I was able to get the transmission totally turned over to completely drain. The are three metal flakes about 1/8" in diameter in the fluid and shavings...no gear teeth. Should I pull the bottom plate off to inspect, have it rebuilt, or look for replacement? Should not fail in this short period of time...I had a John Deere with K46 transmission that lasted for 20 years!

M

mechanic mark

Three hundred hours is just broken in. Remove deck & inspect drive belt & idler pulleys for wear. Use B&S OEM Parts. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark