Export thread

Tuff Torq K46 Looses Speed and Power as it heats up

F

Freddie21

I have a Husqvarna YTH2454 around a 2008 model. As far as I can determine, it has a Tuff Torq K46 hyro trans in it. It looses drive speed and power as it heats up. I have replaced a worn drive belt and a locked idler. Used a Husqvarna Kevlar belt. Trans is clean and fan in good shape. Engine runs great and does not change in speed. If I believe what the previous owner says, he changed the fluid a couple years ago. I see there is a complete rebuild kit available, but I'm hoping not to have to go thru all that. What can I do? Thanks in advanced.

B

bertsmobile1

The K 46 is the bottom end transmission for hydros
They used to have around a 1000 hour service life but I am seeing more of them failing at about the 500 hour mark so it looks like they are downgrading them for a shorter life.
Some times a new oil change with a heavier grade of oil will add a couple of seasons if you are lucky.
And by heavier I mean a heavier base so changing from 20w50 to 20w60 is not going to a heavier oil
30w50 or 30w60 isa heavier grade
If you want to spend a lot of money Harley shops usually carry a 40w60 fully synthetic designed for their older road tractors .

F

Freddie21

Thanks for the info. 30w50 seems to be easily available. there's 713 hours on this unit What actually goes wrong inside for it to be heat related?