troybilt cs4325 chipper will not start after storage

jadj

Forum Newbie
Threads
has anyone experienced this problem. first attempt to start this season. did drain old fuel. used fresh gas,

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check engine oil level first, post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx from engine data plate. You need spark, fuel, & air for engine to run. Remove spark plug & air filter & inspect for replacement as well as fuel filter. Your B&S engine is 250cc. with model number 15T212-0160-F8 I do believe. Spark plug gap is .030, spark plug torque is 180 lb.in. Adjust valves with engine cold, intake valve .004-.006, exhaust valve .009-.011.

Engine operators manual & parts list

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/manuals/results?NTT=15t212-0160*

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If its been sitting a long time maybe the carburetor needle valve is sticking closed?

Mike_Goad

Threads
If the unit has been sitting all winter with fuel in it, the carburetor is gummed up. even if you drained the gas out last fall, the residual gas can cause issues as well. Try using Mechanic in a Bottle to clean out the carburetor. If it is the carburetor that is the problem, i guarantee this will work. MIB can be found in Home Depot and Walmart in the lawn and garden sections.

Mikel1

Threads
If its been sitting a long time maybe the carburetor needle valve is sticking closed?
Yep, it happens. Sometimes you can free it up by tapping the bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver. We sometimes have to do this to ATVs during hunting season, don't have time to clean carb in the morning. If that doesn't work then you will have to clean carb.

Gentile

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this. I have one Troy Bilt CS4325 mulcher/chipper barely one year old, but just out of warrantee. It sat over the winter and it won't start even after cleaning carb, then changing to brand new carb and plugs.

- Open valve cover and see if one of the valve is stuck. Manually move the valve in/out, bypassing the rockers. If they are stuck, you may have to remove them and clean the rod.

Background: Last fall, it won't start so I cleaned the carb and it started right up. Use for about 1/2 hour to chip some branches. It sat through winter, won't start in spring. Cleaned carb, wont start. Checked everything, even changed to new plug. Check to make sure spark plug fired. Then ordered brand new B&S carb. Still won't start.

Decided to tear apart to see anything apparently wrong, to include removing engine head, just by luck, I notice that one of the valve was stuck (corroded rod, not push rod connected to the rocker) in place. It was the valve rod that you could see when taking the muffler off. Because the muffler attachment opening is horizontal and was on top of the engine, I suspect that water eventually leaked through the gasket between the muffler into the engine, corroding the valve rod in place. The other valve cover, you can see opening when carb is take off. It is vertical opening and is not corroded. My mulcher has been sitting underneath deck all winter. Sometimes covered/uncovered not 100% sure. But, I suspect water from rain through deck and landed on mulcher which eventually leaded through muffler and onto valve rod, corroding it in place.

Hope this helps someone as I searched Internet for a long time and never found this solution. It worked for me. Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the car-bu-trator is plugged up. Clean it out or buy a new one off fleabay.

slomo