TroyBilt - 12A-B2RQ563 I want to clean the carb (hunting and surging) any advice?

netrate

Threads
  • / TroyBilt - 12A-B2RQ563 I want to clean the carb (hunting and surging) any advice?
have cleaned a couple of carbs on older lawn mowers - this one is a troybilt with Honda engine. It is a newer.
I found this video, but I am not sure if this is in the same unit or not.
Any advice?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / TroyBilt - 12A-B2RQ563 I want to clean the carb (hunting and surging) any advice?
Most of those carburetors (which i refer to as "Honda Style" are pretty much the same. Steve's small engine saloon did a good video on this as well.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
before pulling it apart, test it again with both a new air filter, and new fuel if the fuel is more than a month or two old. Years ago I had a boat engine that kept surging and dying. The fuel was only 60 days old but adding a couple gallons of new fuel solved the problem. I spent hours on the problem before adding fresh fuel. Fuel can go bad very fast.

netrate

Threads
The mower has been hunting and surging for over a year now, but I will check the fuel and get a new filter. Hopefully the filters are not hard to find.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is what I love about You tube "mechanics"
If he can not tell the difference between a genuine Honda engine & a Honda clone then he is 1000 yards behind the starting tape in the race for cedibality
Then he cleans the carb without removing the main jet & emulsion tube
Sposhes carb cleaner all over the place and makes no effort to blow down the carb to dry it
All carb cleaners with the exception of the very expensive Walbro one softens Vitton so will damage the float jet ,
He goes to great effort to show you to spray cleaning fluid through the bowl vent which is totally unnecessary and misses the emulsion tube air intake .
Also does not show where the cleaner should emerge
SO that one gets a 2.5 out of 10

FWIW if you have one of these engines on whatever mower ( does not matter ) go to a bolt store & buy a pair of the same thread bolts ( M6 x 1 from memory ) but 1 " ( nothing like mixing systems ) longer
Cut off the heads
Now use them like studs & screw into the head
Then assemble all of the bits onto the locating studs
Once everything is in place , hold the assembly tight against the engine the replace the studs one at a time with the original bolts ,
'That $ 2 will save you hours of contortions trying to get the whole lot together without one of the gaskets shifting out of place .
If you want to know how to do it properly then go to outdoor power info .
All Honda & their clones are pulled down & cleaned the same way except newer ones will not have any adjustable jets but some of the clones do

netrate

Threads
I have the filter : it is a honda filter 1720-288-901
Is there a generic filter to replace this? Here is a pic, I don't know what a "dirty" filter would look like.

Attachments

• honda filter1.jpg
    honda filter1.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 0
  • honda filter2.jpg
    honda filter2.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 0

netrate

Threads
I just want to say thank you. I cleaned the filter and the mower no longer " hunts and surges" . I have also purchased a new filter for future use. Thanks again to the people of this forum!