Export thread

Troy Built vs Ariens - Entry level

A

aladine

I can only spend about $1,000 on a mower I have about .8 archers this is my first tractor and have been going back and forth...

The troy I can get an extra 100$ off the list price as well

What one is better?

Ariens 42 in 17.5 HP 6-speed Riding Lawn Mower-960160027 at The Home Depot

Shop Troy-Bilt Pony 17.5 HP Manual 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine at Lowes.com

briggs

briggs

I can only spend about $1,000 on a mower I have about .8 archers this is my first tractor and have been going back and forth...

What one is better?

Shop Troy-Bilt Pony 17.5 HP Manual 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine at Lowes.com

Both are good but i like Ariens myself

davbell22602

davbell22602

Since when did Ariens let AYP make there riding mowers? Those hoods and grilles look just like the ones on a Craftsman tractor.

Id pick the Ariens.

Ric

Ric

What one is better?

Well if you check the spec's you'll find the Troy-Bilt is the better mower. They both have the same single cylinder 17.5 Briggs, the Troy however has a 5.5 fwd and reverse speed transmission, the Ariens is 5.1 fwd and 1.6 reverse speed the Troy has grease fittings for your maintenance, not sure about Ariens. The Troy has a 7 spd shift on the go trans and the Arien is a six speed along with the fact that the troy is rated to cut between1-2 acres while the Ariens is rated for 1/2 to 1 acre. If I was to buy one it would be the Troy.

metz12

metz12

Well if you check the spec's you'll find the Troy-Bilt is the better mower. They both have the same single cylinder 17.5 Briggs, the Troy however has a 5.5 fwd and reverse speed transmission, the Ariens is 5.1 fwd and 1.6 reverse speed the Troy has grease fittings for your maintenance, not sure about Ariens. The Troy has a 7 spd shift on the go trans and the Arien is a six speed along with the fact that the troy is rated to cut between1-2 acres while the Ariens is rated for 1/2 to 1 acre. If I was to buy one it would be the Troy.

i agree. troy bilts are great mowers. plus it has a briggs. they are a quality machine and also they are nice to plow with. my buddys grandfather called me to hook up his plow to his troy bilt mower and it happened to be a day that it was snowing so i got to plow with the thing. its a nice setup. also has a great cut quality.

wjjones

wjjones

Ariens all the way my neighbor had a troybilt, and had alot of trouble with it from the first mowing.

Ric

Ric

Ariens all the way my neighbor had a troybilt, and had alot of trouble with it from the first mowing.

I believe in buying according to the specifications of the equipment and according to them the Troy-Bilt should be a better choice. Personally I wouldn't buy either but that's just me.

metz12

metz12

I believe in buying according to the specifications of the equipment and according to them the Troy-Bilt should be a better choice. Personally I wouldn't buy either but that's just me.

me too. i would go with a craftsman or a cub. or a simplicity.

A

aladine

Appreciate the feed back so far everyone!!!

If you guys had to recommend a mower in my price range, have any suggestions? Sine you all are saying wouldn't get a troy even if its better.

metz12

metz12

Sears.com

briggs, good sized engine. also another thing i like about craftsman stuff is they give you model numbers and part numbers on the tractor, belt routings for the drive belt on the tractor and also if you need a part you can just plug the model number of the tractor into sears parts direct and find the part your looking for. but dont buy the parts from sears. they will cost you an arm and a leg. take that part number over to amazon and put that number in and it brings you up to that part. its that easy. and there are grease fittings for the front axles, hubs steering shafts and other places too. just my opinion. also, check out cub cadet. i like their stuff but they primarily use the kohler engines. i have a kohler command in my craftsman and that is a pretty solid motor but i would rather work on a briggs and stratton any day of the week.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Im not really concerned about brand name of the mower as I am of the brand name of the engine. So if I was shopping new or used mower I'd buy one that has the Kohler command vtwin on it.

Ric

Ric

Appreciate the feed back so far everyone!!!

If you guys had to recommend a mower in my price range, have any suggestions? Sine you all are saying wouldn't get a troy even if its better.

In that price range most of the lawn tractors are basically going to be the same. Ariens, Troy JD anything you'd buy at Lowes or Home Depot. If you move up to the 15 to$1600 range you can get into the Cub Cadets with a 20 hp single cylinder or maybe theV-Twin Kohler engines which are a real good mowers. I personally am not a fan of a Briggs, the ones I've owned have been poor quality and full of problems that's why I said I wouldn't buy either. If you want some good advice I'd stay away from HD and Lowes and find a good dealer, talk to them about a lawn tractor and let them set you up with something and you'll have a good warranty and service department to back up your equipment. Ask Carscw he's here on the forum what he paid for his Cub Cadet LTX 1040 he uses his commercially and has all kind of hours on it and I think it cost like 12 or $1300 Drop him a PM he can fill you in on the Cubs

P

possum

No way to argue with Ric on this.

Carscw

Carscw

You can get a 2013 LTX 1040 for $1200 from a dealer.
I feel in this price range it is the best mower.
I will spare everyone my long drawn out review.

A

aladine

You can get a 2013 LTX 1040 for $1200 from a dealer.
I feel in this price range it is the best mower.
I will spare everyone my long drawn out review.

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/ltx-1040

So by dealer do you mean Tractor supply co? And should I just call and say I want one for 1200?

Carscw

Carscw

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/ltx-1040 So by dealer do you mean Tractor supply co? And should I just call and say I want one for 1200?

No tractor supply is not a dealer.
The cub cadet dealer here has them for $1200

You can not negotiate price with a big box store ( tractor supply. Home Depot. Walmart )
You can always get the best price from a dealer

A

aladine

I called 3 Vendors that are local , $1640, 1499, and 1499 :(

None were willing to budge on the price.

Carscw

Carscw

I called 3 Vendors that are local , $1640, 1499, and 1499 :( None were willing to budge on the price.

I just called my dealer he only has the one been sitting there a few months and he wants it gone that's why it is $1200.
Sorry I misled you.
Even at $1500 it is a very good mower

A

aladine

No problem, thank you for all the help. Due to the price factor I may be able to get the Troy Bronco. Its $1080 after 10% coupon I have.

Shop Troy-Bilt Bronco 19 HP Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Kohler Engine at Lowes.com

Has a single cylinder Kohler Engine, and going from what everyone here said may be a better mower. Reviews are not half bad as well.

Carscw

Carscw

No problem, thank you for all the help. Due to the price factor I may be able to get the Troy Bronco. Its $1080 after 10% coupon I have. Shop Troy-Bilt Bronco 19 HP Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Kohler Engine at Lowes.com Has a single cylinder Kohler Engine, and going from what everyone here said may be a better mower. Reviews are not half bad as well.

This is a very good mower with a good engine.
Only things I do not like is no cruise control and only 2 ani scalp wheels.

I would say for the price this is one of the better mowers.

N

NYNJA

Hi all,

New member. What would you recommend for about 1/3 of an acre, riding or regular. and what make/model would be your pick.
I have read some of the posts here seems like Cub Cadet was some what ahead, would I be close. Thanks for your suggestions.