Troy Bilt Zero Turn will crank but will not start up (run) Kohler engine 25hp

rmiller24r

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Zero Turn will crank but will not start up (run) Kohler engine 25hp
Hello Everybody,

I have Troy Bilt zero turn riding mower I recently purchased. It is equipped with the Kohler Courage 25hp 725cc motor: Spec PS-SV730-3043 : Serial 4304504874.
The issue has been occurring when I have tried to start the mower, it will crank but will not start up. The mower will run perfectly fine if I use start up fluid, but without its use it will not start up. I thought that it could possibly be the fuel pump since it seems like a fuel delivery issue, so I replaced the fuel pump and with no success the motor still does not stay running(I thought possibly previous owner put old fuel in + it has been sitting at dealer for a while possibly = lead to clogging somewhere in the lines and pump.) I was wondering if any one could possibly point me in the right direction. Btw the mower only has 5 hours on it, so all the parts on this motor should be good, but apparently something has failed. Again it runs perfectly fine and stays running if I use engine start up fluid when I crank it up.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Zero Turn will crank but will not start up (run) Kohler engine 25hp
Engine Cranks But Will Not Start for that engine.

● Battery connected backwards.
● Blown fuse.
● Carburetor solenoid malfunction.
● Choke not closing.
● Clogged fuel line or fuel filter.
● Diode in wiring harness failed in open circuit mode.
● DSAI or DSAM malfunction.
● Empty fuel tank.
● Faulty electronic control unit.
● Faulty ignition coil(s).
● Faulty spark plug(s).
● Fuel pump malfunction-vacuum hose clogged or leaking.
● Fuel shut-off valve closed.
● Ignition module(s) faulty or improperly gapped.
● Insufficient voltage to electronic control unit.
● Interlock switch is engaged or faulty.
● Key switch or kill switch in OFF position.
● Low oil level.
● Quality of fuel (dirt, water, stale, mixture).
● SMART-SPARKTM malfunction.
● Spark plug lead(s) disconnected.
● Throttle/choke lines loose

Last edited:

rmiller24r

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a little more digging around the forums and just solved the problem with their help, apparently on the Kohler Courage engines its a common problem for the throttle/choke lines to be somewhat loose (enough for when mower choke is fully engaged it is still an entire centimeter from covering its intended choke plate.) So then of course it will have trouble starting. Tighten the throttle/choke line and the mower cranks up like a brand new mower, oh wait it is a new mower (5hrs old). Troy Bilt needs to definitely work on its QC. I really appreciate the help, and all the helpful threads out there. I will definitely refer everyone to this forum for all there lawn mower questions in the future. Thanks again.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are welcome and thanks for coming back to let us know, I have added it to the list about.:thumbsup: