Troy-Bilt TB30R drive belt tension

Mike_Snyder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I changed the two drive belts on my TB30R. Now the mechanism that pushes the idler pulley of the lower belt out of the way so that the mower can be stopped and gears can be shifted will not release the tension on the belt sufficiently to allow me to stop the mower or change gears or direction of the mower. I didn't deliberately touch the linkage anywhere between the pedal and the transmission, but something changed. Any idea where I might have made my mistake?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
OEM or aftermarket belts? Also need the true model number from the serial number tag.

Mike_Snyder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Serial number is 1D287B20181. Aftermarket belts from Amazon, but they supposedly were replacements for the model numbers on the tag on the seat bottom.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I changed the two drive belts on my TB30R. Now the mechanism that pushes the idler pulley of the lower belt out of the way so that the mower can be stopped and gears can be shifted will not release the tension on the belt sufficiently to allow me to stop the mower or change gears or direction of the mower. I didn't deliberately touch the linkage anywhere between the pedal and the transmission, but something changed. Any idea where I might have made my mistake?
Wrong size belt(s), and/or installed incorrectly.

Mike_Snyder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, but that's kind of general. How am I likely to have installed them incorrectly? Is there a common error?
Other than YouTube videos, is there a photo or diagram somewhere that shows what a correct installation looks like?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is the main problem as aftermarket belts are just usually standard 5/8 belts and MTD uses unique belt lengths, thickness, and widths. The thickness especially causes problems as a standard 5/8 belts is thickness and drags a lot more. I have yet to find an aftermarket belt that works with CVT drive system. And have tried for several years and finally gave up and just use MTD belts for the CVT drive system.

As for installation it is hard to screw this one up. About as basic it can get.

Mike_Snyder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I guess I'll get a genuine Troy-Bilt belt belt.