troy bilt sp model 12A1869F011 high revs

jerrycmorrow

Threads
was out cutting up leaves, mower was operating as designed, when of a sudden it revs to an extremely high rpm and holds. I quickly shut it down and took the starter off for a look see.
nothing appears to be remiss, all parts in place and connected. did notice that there is no paddle on the governor so did research on the particular engine (B&S 11P902-0693-B1) and verified its not sposed to have a paddle. now I'm not sure how the governor is sposed to work since the governor control lever controls the carb through a mechanical link. but what controls the control lever, is there some type of internal (to the engine) device? gotta say the IPL from briggs & Stratton is totally empty regarding internal features.
frankly, I'm at a loss as to further troubleshooting
I am mechanically inclined regarding large and small engines but would rather not crack the case unless I have to. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jerry

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
By "paddle" I am assuming you mean the big air vane by the flywheel on many of the smaller engines, no, this one is on the oil slinger run off of the cam inside the engine, #43 on this pic.

But your problem may just be in the carb, that the throttle plate flap has just lost a screw, that is more likely.

Attachments

• gov.gif
    gov.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 15

jerrycmorrow

Threads
By "paddle" I am assuming you mean the big air vane by the flywheel on many of the smaller engines, no, this one is on the oil slinger run off of the cam inside the engine, #43 on this pic.

But your problem may just be in the carb, that the throttle plate flap has just lost a screw, that is more likely.

thanks fish. yeah that air vane is what I was calling the paddle. appreciate the pic. just in case its not the throttle plate flap how much does the oil slinger runoff cost? also, how can one go about getting a true ipl that includes the internal pieces?
let me do some checking and i'll report back. hope its not the screw cause that could have migrated to undesirable locations.
jerry

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can go to Briggs site I think and get a better ipl.

The loose screw is probably the better of the scenarios.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember seeing your username for many, many years... I assume that you are the same guy?

jerrycmorrow

Threads
I remember seeing your username for many, many years... I assume that you are the same guy?

yeah same guy. I remember you disappeared for a while but I found you on another site although I have a different user name there. glad to find you again, your knowledge and willingness to share have saved my bacon more than once.
I got the "light weight" ipl from B&S site; probly should have looked harder there. will do so.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
yeah same guy. I remember you disappeared for a while but I found you on another site although I have a different user name there. glad to find you again, your knowledge and willingness to share have saved my bacon more than once.
I got the "light weight" ipl from B&S site; probly should have looked harder there. will do so.

ok, my duh on the ipl. I've got it. do I need any gaskets to get to the slinger? can you give me a hint about what I should or should not expect or tear down?
do you have access to an exploded view so I can use it as a map?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
ok, my duh on the ipl. I've got it. do I need any gaskets to get to the slinger? can you give me a hint about what I should or should not expect or tear down?
do you have access to an exploded view so I can use it as a map?

Actually no... Back when those engines came out, if there was any problem it was shortblock or a new engine, so I never have been too deep in one....