Troy Bilt push mower running very rough

aw12620

Forum Newbie
Threads
I won't be able to get a picture of the actual carb on this mower for a few days, but here is the identical carburetor that is on the mower.

Briggs & Stratton 799584 Carburetor.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The float and needle valve are inside of the bowl I circled in red. You need to take that part off and clean. The main jets are in there too. They also need to be cleaned.
Briggs & Stratton 799584 Carburetor.jpg

aw12620

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have taken the carburetor completely apart and cleaned it 3 times now. The last time I even let every piece soak in carb cleaner. Then blew each hole out with an air compressor. Even used a small wire to loosen up any debris. Every single piece of the carburetor appears to be spotless.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason I said some thing about the needle and float is because you said your carb is newer one with out them. I show in your parts diagram you have both.

Did you check the float needle for sealing? Turn carb upside down and check to see if you can blow air into the carb from the inlet hole. If float and needle are working correctly you will not be able to.

aw12620

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I said some thing about the needle and float is because you said your carb is newer one with out them. I show in your parts diagram you have both.

Did you check the float needle for sealing? Turn carb upside down and check to see if you can blow air into the carb from the inlet hole. If float and needle are working correctly you will not be able to.

I was able to take it apart again this afternoon. I turned the carb upside down and was not able to blow air into in. So I assume the needle is functioning properly.

As far as the spark plug tester goes, if the lawn mower will run (just very rough) wouldn't the spark tester flash as usual? I may be wrong, just throwing out ideas.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
At lower throttle you will be able to see if it is firing like it is supposed to.

TRCar54

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is an old thread but I'll add my experience just to archive it in case someone else is looking for help and like me gets here via Google search.

I have a 2017 TB 110 dump find with a B&S 550EX, 11A-A2BM711, 09P702-0144-F1, 140cc engine .....cheap mower but it's in great shape and has the bag. I found that mine was surging as a result of a defective auto choke capsule. I replaced the carburetor and even enlarged the main jet but couldn't get the surge to smooth out. My auto choke just flops around with no resistance in either direction.

If you're unsure where to look, just follow the rod that connects from the carburetor to the round device above the cylinder head area. I believe it's filled with wax and maybe a spring that reacts to hot and cold. When cold it allows choke and the opposite when hot. I bent the rod to take the choke off for now. On a properly running engine you would adjust the U shaped center of the rod. I'd order a new one but can't find a part number or picture for the auto choke anywhere. I'll stop by a shop this week and see what's available or if it starts easily as is will leave it like that.

Best,
Jay in MA