Export thread

Troy Bilt push mower running very rough

A

aw12620

I have a Troy Bilt TB110 push mower that is running rough (about 1 year old). I picked it up from a friend because he couldn't get it started. I was able to clean up the carburetor and get it running, but it still surges a bit. When it surges, it shoots out a decent amount of black smoke. I ran some Sea Foam in it and it did not seem to make a difference. The air filter isn't new, but in very good shape. I am thinking that it is running rich. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it up with a wire brush. The plug had a good amount of black carbon build up that was easy to remove with a paper towel. This model has the all plastic carburetor that does not have a float/needle in it. Any ideas or suggestions? I am stuck. Thanks for the help!!

E

ElectricBlake

Make sure the float needle and seat in the carburetor is good. If the needle does not seat it will run rich. A good way to test to take the fuel line off the carburetor and plug it. If it runs good without a fuel line until the bowl is empty the needle and seat are to blame.

A

aw12620

The carburetor on this mower does not have a float and needle. Its the newer all plastic carburetor from Briggs and Stratton.

M

mechanic mark

A

aw12620

Troy-Bilt TB110 21"
Model #: 11A-A230711

Briggs & Stratton 550EX 140cc

BlazNT

BlazNT

The carburetor on this mower does not have a float and needle. Its the newer all plastic carburetor from Briggs and Stratton.

How to clean the carb, float and needle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmm-yDEW948

H

hdsport

Very typical.....replace the diaphragm. Looks like ethanol gas has another victim.
I have done many of this quick repair and the results are amazing!!!
Keep us posted on your efforts.

i

A

aw12620

Update:

I took the carburetor off and cleaned it again. Let it soak in carburetor cleaner for a bit then blew out each each with the air compressor. I also changed the oil, air filter, spark plug and put some fresh gas in it. Every thing looks brand new in the carburetor. The float and needle look brand new. This model doesn't have a diaphragm. Still not running worth a crap. Still spitting out black smoke. Any other ideas? I am stuck. Thanks for the help.

BlazNT

BlazNT

picture of carb please.

B

bertsmobile1

Same story for you.
Buy an inline neon spark tester , fit it and watch the flashing.
If it flashes and the engine is not firing them you have a fuel problem
if it doesn't flash when the engine misses you have an electrical problem.

A

aw12620

I won't be able to get a picture of the actual carb on this mower for a few days, but here is the identical carburetor that is on the mower.

Briggs & Stratton 799584 Carburetor.jpg

BlazNT

BlazNT

The float and needle valve are inside of the bowl I circled in red. You need to take that part off and clean. The main jets are in there too. They also need to be cleaned.
Briggs & Stratton 799584 Carburetor.jpg

A

aw12620

I have taken the carburetor completely apart and cleaned it 3 times now. The last time I even let every piece soak in carb cleaner. Then blew each hole out with an air compressor. Even used a small wire to loosen up any debris. Every single piece of the carburetor appears to be spotless.

BlazNT

BlazNT

The reason I said some thing about the needle and float is because you said your carb is newer one with out them. I show in your parts diagram you have both.

Did you check the float needle for sealing? Turn carb upside down and check to see if you can blow air into the carb from the inlet hole. If float and needle are working correctly you will not be able to.

A

aw12620

The reason I said some thing about the needle and float is because you said your carb is newer one with out them. I show in your parts diagram you have both.

Did you check the float needle for sealing? Turn carb upside down and check to see if you can blow air into the carb from the inlet hole. If float and needle are working correctly you will not be able to.

I was able to take it apart again this afternoon. I turned the carb upside down and was not able to blow air into in. So I assume the needle is functioning properly.

As far as the spark plug tester goes, if the lawn mower will run (just very rough) wouldn't the spark tester flash as usual? I may be wrong, just throwing out ideas.

BlazNT

BlazNT

At lower throttle you will be able to see if it is firing like it is supposed to.

T

TRCar54

I know this is an old thread but I'll add my experience just to archive it in case someone else is looking for help and like me gets here via Google search.

I have a 2017 TB 110 dump find with a B&S 550EX, 11A-A2BM711, 09P702-0144-F1, 140cc engine .....cheap mower but it's in great shape and has the bag. I found that mine was surging as a result of a defective auto choke capsule. I replaced the carburetor and even enlarged the main jet but couldn't get the surge to smooth out. My auto choke just flops around with no resistance in either direction.

If you're unsure where to look, just follow the rod that connects from the carburetor to the round device above the cylinder head area. I believe it's filled with wax and maybe a spring that reacts to hot and cold. When cold it allows choke and the opposite when hot. I bent the rod to take the choke off for now. On a properly running engine you would adjust the U shaped center of the rod. I'd order a new one but can't find a part number or picture for the auto choke anywhere. I'll stop by a shop this week and see what's available or if it starts easily as is will leave it like that.

Best,
Jay in MA