Troy bilt mustang xp move in reverse ok but loses power moving forward.

JBmack04

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy bilt mustang xp move in reverse ok but loses power moving forward.
Hi,

I’ve got the mustang xp 50” zero turn. The right trans has been weak for some time but not too bad. Recently the drive belt broke, so I replaced it. Afterwards, we mowed right away and it seemed ok. Next mow, it was weak on both sides and after an about 30-40 minutes, it was bad. Moving in reverse seems fine. Have to kind of jerk the lap bars to get up to speed but repeat that at every turn. Some research taught me that it may be the trans over heating. They’re sealed units but I managed to locate a how to on them but before I tackle that, I wanted to get some input from some experts. Thanks in advance.
Joel

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check the drive belt idler arm for binding.

Would need the real model number from the serial tag to look up IPL.

JBmack04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the drive belt idler arm for binding.

Would need the real model number from the serial tag to look up IPL.
Hi, the model number of the trans is ZC-AMBB-4DDB-3RPX.

TY

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hi, the model number of the trans is ZC-AMBB-4DDB-3RPX.

TY
Forward motion worsened after replacing the drive belt. Is the drive belt the correct size? Is it installed correctly? As stated before, is the tensioner pulley binding? Is the spring in the correct position? Do you have good belt tension?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It also could be just time for oil change and if you happen to open the unit(s) make the check valves at the filter screen are tight. I have seen then to come loose. Hopefully they are not damaged as they are NLA.

But I am still leaning toward the drive belt or tensioner idler problem as both units are affected.

JBmack04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forward motion worsened after replacing the drive belt. Is the drive belt the correct size? Is it installed correctly? As stated before, is the tensioner pulley binding? Is the spring in the correct position? Do you have good belt tension?
I checked and the new belt is 57.5” but the oem size is 57.3. I’m not sure that small of a difference is the culprit but I ordered another one that is 57.3”.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ran into MTD built mowers that took that belt that was too long. We started using a 57 inch belt. Wala problem solved.

JBmack04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Swapped the belt for the .2” shorter belt and everything worked. I do believe I need to change the oil in the transaxle ls though. Right side is weak, improved from before but still weaker than the right side. Hopefully no internal damage that’ll force me to replace it.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Much appreciated.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Swapped the belt for the .2” shorter belt and everything worked. I do believe I need to change the oil in the transaxle ls though. Right side is weak, improved from before but still weaker than the right side. Hopefully no internal damage that’ll force me to replace it.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Much appreciated.
That is incredible that .2” made the difference between the belt working or not working.