Troy-Bilt Gas Trimmer 2-Cycle Oil?

eddie57

Threads
Hi, my Troy-Bilt (TB21) Gas Trimmer requires 2-Cycle Oil and the owner's manual of course recommends their Troy-Bilt brand. I can't find it at my local store. Can I use any quality brand of 2-cycle oil instead? There are conventional and also synthetic oil types. Does it matter what type I use? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally here I use a synthetic multi-mix product that I sell to my customers. It is designed to be used in any 2 cycle using fuel mixes of 16:1 to 50:1. I even use the Silver Streak two cycle oil from Walmart but it has to be precisely measured. 2.6 US oz (two tablespoons + two teaspoons) to a US gallon for a 50:1 mix.

Don't use outboard two cycle oil as has a different formulation.

EDIT: forgot to state that I was referring to US measurements and correct the spelling of outboard from outbroad.

Last edited:

eddie57

Threads
Personally here I use a synthetic multi-mix product that I sell to my customers. It is designed to be used in any 2 cycle using fuel mixes of 16:1 to 50:1. I even use the Silver Streak two cycle oil from Walmart but it has to be precisely measured. 2.6 oz (two tablespoons + two teaspoons) to a gallon for a 50:1 mix.

Don't use outbroad two cycle oil as has a different formulation.
Thank you for you assistance. Have a great day!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use and recommend Opti-2 two-cycle oil, which I recommend buying in the pouch. Mix with one of gas. You don’t want a lot of mixed gas laying around and like StarTech can be used in multiple ratios.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I use a 1 liter mixing bottle from RGS.
Similar to the Stens one but with a taller neck so the oil can be measured out more accurately.
So again, just mix what I need even if it means doing several mixes a day.
Any modern ashless 2 stroke oil will be fine.
Not convinced that synthetic is any better than normal oil but considering how little you use the cost is double very little so makes no difference.
In the workshop I usually sell RGS oil unless Stens have a big discount sale when I buy & sell their 1 Liter bottles.

eddie57

Threads
FWIW I use a 1 liter mixing bottle from RGS.
Similar to the Stens one but with a taller neck so the oil can be measured out more accurately.
So again, just mix what I need even if it means doing several mixes a day.
Any modern ashless 2 stroke oil will be fine.
Not convinced that synthetic is any better than normal oil but considering how little you use the cost is double very little so makes no difference.
In the workshop I usually sell RGS oil unless Stens have a big discount sale when I buy & sell their 1 Liter bottles.
Thank you for your comments. Greatly appreciated.