Troy Bilt Bronco Wont Start With New

BobbyBass85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys and gals,

New to the forum and need help. I have a 2020 Troy Bilt Bronco that won’t start. It whines when the clutch is in and key is turned. I tested the battery and it was dead and would not charge. (after only 1 season since I replaced it) Today I bought a new battery, tossed it in and heard the same wine followed by it clicking repeatedly but wouldn’t start. After a few tries I checked the battery and it was down to 11.9 V. Tried a couple checks with the multimeter and tried to start it again with no luck. Now the battery reads 9.8V.

The mower starts when jumped without issue. what’s going on here?

TIA for the help!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys and gals,

New to the forum and need help. I have a 2020 Troy Bilt Bronco that won’t start. It whines when the clutch is in and key is turned. I tested the battery and it was dead and would not charge. (after only 1 season since I replaced it) Today I bought a new battery, tossed it in and heard the same wine followed by it clicking repeatedly but wouldn’t start. After a few tries I checked the battery and it was down to 11.9 V. Tried a couple checks with the multimeter and tried to start it again with no luck. Now the battery reads 9.8V.

The mower starts when jumped without issue. what’s going on here?

TIA for the help!

With a test light, (and the park brake set so you don't have to be sitting in the seat) turn the key to start to see if you have 12v going to the starter. If you don't, then it's very likely that you just have a bad solenoid. If you do have power going to the starter, then it's your starter.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Without the actual model number I would say you have a Kohler engine with a bad starter.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you leave the original battery, or the new one, out in the cold winter all season? And with no battery maintainer?

If you want battery longevity, pull the battery and at minimum, place it in a real garage. Indoors climate controlled even better. Battery Tenders are your friend.