Troy Bilt 2410 Snowblower 179cc cylinder score? Is this normal?

peanstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Bilt 2410 Snowblower 179cc cylinder score? Is this normal?
I just purcased this snowbmlower to learn the internals. It initially would not start and discovered the exhaust valve was stuck. After cleaning the valve by removing the muffler I was able to get it to start bu it would smoke. After about 20 min. if it running it was still smoking. I turned it off and after it cooled, checked the oil (had fresh change of ~17oz.) and it has burnt up ~ 8oz.
I pulled the head and the exhaust valve was not moving smoothly at all due to all the gunk.
I did notice the cylinder had a semi uniform score and was wondering if this engine is suppose to have that? From the little experience I have with cylinders, I am not familiar with this as being normal.

Can anyone chime in and lmk if the cylinder is crap or if that's normal?
tia!

Google Drive Pics

PXL_20230107_223608574.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It will run but will be an oil burner and really not fixable without boring oversize and new piston and rings. A new engine would probably be cheaper. That looks like a piston pin circlip out of place or a broken ring. If i planned to run it i would pull it apart and check the wrist pin and circlips and rings.

peanstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will run but will be an oil burner and really not fixable without boring oversize and new piston and rings. A new engine would probably be cheaper. That looks like a piston pin circlip out of place or a broken ring. If i planned to run it i would pull it apart and check the wrist pin and circlips and rings.
Thanks for confirming and the advice. At this point, I'll look for a replacement engine as it will be less of a hassle.