Export thread

Troy Bilt 2410 Snowblower 179cc cylinder score? Is this normal?

P

peanstein

I just purcased this snowbmlower to learn the internals. It initially would not start and discovered the exhaust valve was stuck. After cleaning the valve by removing the muffler I was able to get it to start bu it would smoke. After about 20 min. if it running it was still smoking. I turned it off and after it cooled, checked the oil (had fresh change of ~17oz.) and it has burnt up ~ 8oz.
I pulled the head and the exhaust valve was not moving smoothly at all due to all the gunk.
I did notice the cylinder had a semi uniform score and was wondering if this engine is suppose to have that? From the little experience I have with cylinders, I am not familiar with this as being normal.

Can anyone chime in and lmk if the cylinder is crap or if that's normal?
tia!

Google Drive Pics

PXL_20230107_223608574.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

It will run but will be an oil burner and really not fixable without boring oversize and new piston and rings. A new engine would probably be cheaper. That looks like a piston pin circlip out of place or a broken ring. If i planned to run it i would pull it apart and check the wrist pin and circlips and rings.

P

peanstein

It will run but will be an oil burner and really not fixable without boring oversize and new piston and rings. A new engine would probably be cheaper. That looks like a piston pin circlip out of place or a broken ring. If i planned to run it i would pull it apart and check the wrist pin and circlips and rings.
Thanks for confirming and the advice. At this point, I'll look for a replacement engine as it will be less of a hassle.