trouble picking up leaves

bobeteb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a jd x300 with a 42" edge extra deck, i installed a bagger and when i am bagging leaves it picks up fine everything that goes under the deck and bags it nicely, problem i have is it blows a lot of the leaves away from discharge side before they go under. Is there an attachment i need to install to stop that from happening.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently purchased a jd x300 with a 42" edge extra deck, i installed a bagger and when i am bagging leaves it picks up fine everything that goes under the deck and bags it nicely, problem i have is it blows a lot of the leaves away from discharge side before they go under. Is there an attachment i need to install to stop that from happening.

You need a mulching kit. Basically it covers the chute. I've used a few home made things, such as screen secured to the outside of the deck. It was just temporary, of course, but it worked for what little I needed.

But then I realized that just mulching and letting them lay, was easier and better for the grass. Those leaves your getting rid of are this winters and next springs fertilizer.

But basically, all you need is something to cover the chute.

bobeteb

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need a mulching kit. Basically it covers the chute. I've used a few home made things, such as screen secured to the outside of the deck. It was just temporary, of course, but it worked for what little I needed.

But then I realized that just mulching and letting them lay, was easier and better for the grass. Those leaves your getting rid of are this winters and next springs fertilizer.

But basically, all you need is something to cover the chute.
Thanks for your response, i do have a plug for the chute but like to pick the leaves up when they get really deep when the mulched leaves may be too much material and would choke the grass.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your response, i do have a plug for the chute but like to pick the leaves up when they get really deep when the mulched leaves may be too much material and would choke the grass.

Oh no. They won't choke the grass. Not at all. At least not after going over them a few times with the mower.

Born2Mow

Threads
I simply start in the center of the yard and drive in ever larger circles until I reach the edge. At that point I'm dizzy from going round and round, but at least the yard is clear.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I simply start in the center of the yard and drive in ever larger circles until I reach the edge. At that point I'm dizzy from going round and round, but at least the yard is clear.

My brother always blew and raked his yard. But one day while he was at work, I blew them all together, sort of opposite of what you do. (outside in) Then ran them over in the middle, then outwards around and around a few passes each way. By the time they were piled up in the middle, they were small pieces. Then by going over them again, they were small enough that it didn't look bad at all.

In all actuality, having the mulched leaves on the ground, protects the roots during the winter months by adding a small layer to the ground cover. I'm sure it's pretty insignificant. But when the rains hit, and the leaves finish decaying, they turn into some pretty good fertilizer.

And don't worry, what ever is laying on top of the grass, will fall between the grass within a day or two. Especially after a rain. Simply because you're actually mulching them twice.

john4803

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe lowering the deck to it's lowest setting will help. It does the same thing to me and I just keep going over it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A man who dates from the early days before rotary mowers had catchers.
If you wanted to collect the grass you cut in a clockwise direction from the outside and ended up with it all in a pile in the centre
If you wanted to mulch you start from the middle and cut counter clockwise