Trouble Finding Replacement Starter

Bimmerknut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor Model 917.254.622

It's been hard to start. The battery doesn't keep a charge well and it's a new battery.
My problem today is the starter. I put the charger on the battery and it barely seemed like it made much difference.
I got a few revolutions out of it, but that's it. I decided to leave the battery to charge all night.
Went out this morning and just a click. That's it.
So I remove the cable and clean the ring terminal real well as well as the mounting point. No difference. Just Click.
So I remove the plastic cover to the top of the starter and the plastic gear is all torn up, and the spring housing on the top is broken with the spring lying sideways.
It doesn't look as though the gear is disengaging from the flywheel so I pull the starter. The spindle doesn't spin very well. It feels rough like it's hanging up in there just a bit.
I found a manual online for the same Model and it says the starter is a part number 33605. So I go to find a replacement on Ebay and they're all around $45-$50 but the mounting is on the side and my mounting is behind the gear.
I called Sears and they want $234. I say I can't afford that and they then tell me there's one for $189. I think I'm getting ripped here so I'm in the hunt to find a replacement. The problem is I've not seen another starter that has the two mounting holes behind the gear as it sits vertically. If the starter spun really easily I'd just buy a new gear kit, but I'm really worried that the motor has seen it's last days.

Can anyone help me source another motor?
Thanks!Starter.jpg

Mikel1

Threads
Take a look on ebay for briggs starter.

Mikel1

Threads
Go off your engine model # instead of the craftsman model #. The picture of the starter you posted versus the other(33605) is way different as you can tell.
P.S. The other post was more entertaining:wink:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to napa

silver1

Threads
I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor Model 917.254.622

It's been hard to start. The battery doesn't keep a charge well and it's a new battery.
My problem today is the starter. I put the charger on the battery and it barely seemed like it made much difference.
I got a few revolutions out of it, but that's it. I decided to leave the battery to charge all night.
Went out this morning and just a click. That's it.
So I remove the cable and clean the ring terminal real well as well as the mounting point. No difference. Just Click.
So I remove the plastic cover to the top of the starter and the plastic gear is all torn up, and the spring housing on the top is broken with the spring lying sideways.
It doesn't look as though the gear is disengaging from the flywheel so I pull the starter. The spindle doesn't spin very well. It feels rough like it's hanging up in there just a bit.
I found a manual online for the same Model and it says the starter is a part number 33605. So I go to find a replacement on Ebay and they're all around $45-$50 but the mounting is on the side and my mounting is behind the gear.
I called Sears and they want $234. I say I can't afford that and they then tell me there's one for $189. I think I'm getting ripped here so I'm in the hunt to find a replacement. The problem is I've not seen another starter that has the two mounting holes behind the gear as it sits vertically. If the starter spun really easily I'd just buy a new gear kit, but I'm really worried that the motor has seen it's last days.

Can anyone help me source another motor?
Thanks!View attachment 20189

I had that starter on my Tecumseh TVM220-157069E (33605) It is not like yours. Ebay is a good place to get a replacement.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 3

The Don'z

Threads
when all else fails,, Jacks Small Engines can get pretty much anything for any engine