tried so many things but doesn't start

x13darkmatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman LT2000. There is no sound, nothing, when I turn the key. I tested the ignition switch by a YouTube video. M-G, B-L, S-B. All have continuity. I Tested the starter by jumping from the battery. Starts up, runs, but the blade won't engage. I powered down and pulled the blade engage lever to listen and feel for the clutch to engage. It engages. I am not sure how to test for power to the engage switch. I tested the solenoid by a YouTube video. I have continuity between the poles and am getting 12 volts on the battery side. I am getting 12v on the starter side only when the small orange lead is alligator clipped to the 12v battery pole with black to ground and red to starter pole. It's a 4 pole solenoid. The battery is brand new from last year also. Mower was fine last time I mowed. Last thing I did to it was cleaned under the duck out with the hose. What have I missed?

Thanks

NorthBama

Threads
The B-S terminal is the start terminal (S). This Start wire travels through the safety switches. The solenoid will not energize unless the brake switch is working and the pto switch is off and may have a drive neutral switch don't know the wiring without a model number of your mower.

Last edited:

x13darkmatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 247-28851. The parking brake was engaged, mower set in neutral, and pto disengaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Model 247-28851. The parking brake was engaged, mower set in neutral, and pto disengaged.

Your mower has 2 sources of electricity.
1) the battery
2) the alternator when the engine is running.

There is a fuse in the system on the wire that ends up at the B ( Battery ) terminal at the ignition switch
If that is blown then you have no power anywhere till the engine is running.
Once the engine is running the alternator pumps DC back to the battery via the ignition switch so everything will work with the engine running.

The electric PTO uses a lot of power and will automatically dissengage when in a low power situation.

So start looking for that fuse.
If you dont have an owners manual, get on on line , they are a free download the fuse position is occasioally shown in there.

NorthBama

Threads
I looked for a electrical schematic using the model number with no luck. you will need to check voltage at each switch by following the wires from the S switch terminal. Not an easy job because switches may be difficult to get to.

x13darkmatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your guys' replies. I did check the fuse as well and it is good. I attempted to mow the lawn with the mower started and running but to no luck pto would not engage. Maybe the pto engage switch? I'll start tracing wires to switches and testing for 12v correct? Not exactly sure how to test switches but I think I'm educated and experienced enough to figure it out or search Youtube. Please keep checking in. I'm enjoying learning how to diagnose and fix these things and appreciate everyone's help in making me more mechanically and electrically inclined to work on my own equipment.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
PTO's pull a reasonable amount of power ( amps ) so testing a switch with a multimeter is about as much use as double sided toilet paper
AS already stated the cranking circuit goes through the ignition switch then to the PTO switch , down to the brake switch then on the the trigger wire on the solenoid.
Check the PTO clutch by jumping it at the plug near the starter.
If it clicks in & out as you connect it & disconnect it the good chance the clutch is OK
The wires between that plug & the clutch itself are very vunerable and easily broken.
In particular they tend to fatigue right where they go into the clutch.
If you are set on trolling through the web, I would suggest
Donnyboy87
TaryelfixesAll
MowerMedic
Everything I have seen from those 3 on the web was good .
There is a lot of ego massarging garbage on the web uploaded by shaved monkeys with absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

x13darkmatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lol. Last sentence was good. Appreciate those sources. I'll look into them. Power is (watts) & current is (amps). I'm sure you know that, just a typo, but for anyone else reading.