Trickle charger for HRR216 model

nbpt100

Threads
I have acquired a walk behind with an electric start. The Honda trickle charger is missing. It comes with an appropriate cable to connect to the battery to keep it charged. The engine does have an generator. A charger is needed for off season storage and sporadic use is not enough to charge the batter to work. Honda wants about $100 USD. Is there a way I can just get the correct connector and rig up my own trickle 12V battery charger? Is there an aftermarket one out there that is affordable.? I can get a new battery for about $30 which is not too bad. However, The OEM Honda flaot charger and cable to charge and maintain the battery is not cost effective right now. known ideas appreciate. Even theoretical ideas are ok too..... Thanks.

I believe the correct Honda part number is 06320-VH7-UA2 - Float charger

JBtoro

Threads
You are right; that OEM charger is really pricey. Here's a couple of ideas:

I have an older HRX217. I got it used for free but with no charger. I was able to look online at the specs on an OEM charger. Then I searched for identical specs in a box I kept of old telephone chargers. I found one. Then I rigged up the wiring & hooked it up to the battery. It charged up from about 5V to around 11 which is not enough juice. Thus, even though it seems to have done it's job of charging, the battery appears to be bad. To be honest, I never bought a new battery because the mower starts on one easy pull. Your mower is different than mine in that mine does not have a recharging feature so this idea may or may not work for you.

Here's another. The You tuber below used a way-less-expensive battery tender instead of a factory charger on a Snapper with a Briggs engine. But the principle, I believe, should be the same for a Honda. Fast forward to the 8:00 mark for the battery tender part.

nbpt100

Threads
Yes and thanks. I have a tender I charged the battery with. However you have to remove the battery from the housing to do so. It is now what people want. What I need is the electrical connector that goes to the honda fitting and I can make a pig tail that can then be clamped to a battery charger/tender. So the problem can be solved with that approach but I need the Honda wiring harness or at a minimum the connector to make it a cleaner operation.

That harness seems to be part of the Honda Battery float charger kit I referenced above. Can I get that wiring harness alone?

JBtoro

Threads
Yes and thanks. I have a tender I charged the battery with. However you have to remove the battery from the housing to do so. It is now what people want. What I need is the electrical connector that goes to the honda fitting and I can make a pig tail that can then be clamped to a battery charger/tender. So the problem can be solved with that approach but I need the Honda wiring harness or at a minimum the connector to make it a cleaner operation.

That harness seems to be part of the Honda Battery float charger kit I referenced above. Can I get that wiring harness alone?
Are you seeking # 5 below? If so, here is where I found it & it is available. Inexplicably, it lists 2 widely different prices based on serial #'s. Guess you'd have to call to sort that out.

1659374919632.png
1659375037681.png

nbpt100

Threads
My post may have been a bit confusing. Sorry. I Need item 4, float charger, which is a bit pricey. My thought was to some how find a connector that is similar to the end connector on Item 4 in a cost effective way. I thought I saw a harness that came with the float chager but I do not see it in your diagram. Item 4 plugs into 5, somewhere to charge the battery. I need the same connector on 4 to mate with Item 5. From there I can make a cable to go to my battery charger of choice.

Briantii

Threads
Why not just pull the rope? Hondas usually start pretty easy.