Transmission

Jonb62

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new here so don't jump on me if this has been asked and answered before. I did look. I have a mtd 760 series mower, I got it from a friend and it has been setting for years. I cleaned up the carb and changed the oil. The motor runs fine now. My problem is the "transmission" only runs in first gear unless I pull back on the brake. If I pull back the thing shifts like it should and everything thing is fine. Could it be a weak spring or do I need to lube something?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spring in the wrong place or belt running wrong way through the clutching pulleys or the tension arm not sitting properly on its bush or the hole in the arm flogged out oval .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If this MTD uses the CVT transaxle setup it can be just worn belts; although, sticking parts from rust can be also the problem.

Jonb62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spring in the wrong place or belt running wrong way through the clutching pulleys or the tension arm not sitting properly on its bush or the hole in the arm flogged out oval .
Thanks I'm thinking tension

Jonb62

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this MTD uses the CVT transaxle setup it can be just worn belts; although, sticking parts from rust can be also the problem.
Thanks I'm going to jack this thing up and see if I soak the pulley assembly