Transmission?

FreedomWon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had my John Deere D-130 for 7 yrs now. I take very good care of it and was wondering if there is anything I should do now that it's 7yrs old with the transmission oil? Nothing seems out of the ordinary, I just wanted to know if there is any "Preventive Maint." I should do. (retired military) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tuff Torq hydrostatic transaxle. Looks like it is a K46 series.

They considered sealed units and have no user maintenance specs. The only time the oil gets changed is when repairs are performed.

FreedomWon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Sir, well I guess I can mark that task off my list... LOL

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe depends on how mechanical you are. Some of these transmissions run a long time, some start failing at 200 hours - or less. This transmission uses and combines the same oil in the hydraulic unit and the differential gears.These gears are made up of powdered metal and can deteriorate with the surface spalling off in particles. This will chew up the hydraulics pretty quickly. Lot of history with this. If able it's a good idea to pull the hydro unit, separate the cases, drain, clean magnets and screens, refill with oil. Most recommend a 5w50 synthetic oil. I used 10w40 Havoline in mine, worked for another 250 hours after it mostly failed. Very expensive to replace, more than the mower is worth for sure. Many youtube videos on this maintenance.

Last edited:

FreedomWon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe depends on how mechanical you are. Some of these transmissions run a long time, some start failing at 200 hours - or less. This transmission uses and combines the same oil in the hydraulic unit and the differential gears.These gears are made up of powdered metal and can deteriorate with the surface spalling off in particles. This will chew up the hydraulics pretty quickly. Lot of history with this. If able it's a good idea to pull the hydro unit, separate the cases, drain, clean magnets and screens, refill with oil. Most recommend a 5w50 synthetic oil. I used 10w40 Havoline in mine, worked for another 250 hours after it mostly failed. Very expensive to replace, more than the mower is worth for sure. Many youtube videos on this maintenance.

Thank you Sir, greatly appr. your advice.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally I do not recommend changing the oil on sealed units for two reasons
1) people rarely ever clean the box properly thus introduce water & dirt inside the box
2) people tend to apply the silicon as if it was mortar between bricks and it ends up everywhere inside the box