Transmission repair

CajunMan89

Threads
I am rebuilding an old trans. on a Toro Wheel Horse 244-5. It has Techumseh engraved on the trans. The specs call for 36 oz. of Bentonite grease (Peerless P/N 788067B).

Since I am having trouble finding that particular grease, would general purpose grease or some other grease sold at Walmart do the job?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO, an all propose grease will not work. Tecumseh/Peerless trannies need Bentinite. Any good small engine repair shop should be able to get it for you. Costs about $35.00 a tube.

CajunMan89

Threads
Thanks for the input!

Is there an easy way to measure this stuff? I believe it comes in 32 oz. bottles and I need 36 oz.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A 32 oz. tube should be enough. I've never needed more than one tube. Where did you get 36 oz? I can't find that in any of my manuals.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct at 36 oz. I haven't use that spec book in way too many years. I would still say unless you purchase a second tube (they are $$$$) you should be fine with 32oz. More important than the amount of lube you use, is that you replace all seals and make sure you don't cut them on installation. I also use a very thin coat of a good gasket sealer on each side of the gasket or a liberal amount of sealer if there is no gasket.

CajunMan89

Threads
You are correct at 36 oz. I haven't use that spec book in way too many years. I would still say unless you purchase a second tube (they are $$$$) you should be fine with 32oz. More important than the amount of lube you use, is that you replace all seals and make sure you don't cut them on installation. I also use a very thin coat of a good gasket sealer on each side of the gasket or a liberal amount of sealer if there is no gasket.

I ordered the grease. Ebay was the cheapest I could find. Would this be a suitable sealant and enough to do the job? Permatex Silicone Adhesive Sealant - Walmart.com

CajunMan89

Threads
I have it all back together, however it seems to be stuck in gear and won't go in neutral. Any idea what could be wrong?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A few things come to mind very quickly. One, is the detent ball in correctly. Remove the ball through the hole with a magnet and try to shift the unit. If it does not shift, you have other problems. Second, are you sure you put the shift washer back in the correct way. If they are reversed 180 degrees it will be very difficult to shift. Third, when you put the two halves back together, are you sure that you are not pinching the bushings? They have small nubs which must sit flush in their relief areas. I know this means opening the unit back up, but there is no other way to find the cause.

Maybe this manual will help, if you don't have it already.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...FFERENTIALS-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-691218.pdf