Transmission Pulley Loose John Deere JS63C

bfiredude

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere Walk behind mower, JS63C
After removing drive V-belt I noticed that the sheave pulley isn't tight around the transmission shaft. There's play in it. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a bushing in the sheave (pulley) or is the pulley just made to fit snug around the transmission shaft.
The transmission shaft has a pin in it (acts as a key-way), that the sheave pulley sits on.
Untitled-1.jpg

Retiredcarguy

Threads
John Deere Walk behind mower, JS63C
After removing drive V-belt I noticed that the sheave pulley isn't tight around the transmission shaft. There's play in it. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a bushing in the sheave (pulley) or is the pulley just made to fit snug around the transmission shaft.
The transmission shaft has a pin in it (acts as a key-way), that the sheave pulley sits on.
View attachment 21601

I would suggest you get a new pin and install it with Loctite, ASAP. A very easy and preventative fix.

Still in warranty? Your photo looks like it is an almost new machine. Ask your JD dealer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have ran into the same problem to the point where the transmission shaft has striped out. I found you can't buy replacement parts for the transmission but have to replace the trans. What I have done for a temporary fix is JB weld and a new pulley, but it is only temporary. I hope you find a better answer for this and JD comes up with a better repair???

johndeere10

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have ran into the same problem to the point where the transmission shaft has striped out. I found you can't buy replacement parts for the transmission but have to replace the trans. What I have done for a temporary fix is JB weld and a new pulley, but it is only temporary. I hope you find a better answer for this and JD comes up with a better repair???

Hi, just wondering how the fix is working for you. Thinking about using babbit to fill gap on pulley. Have you or anyone tried this method?

johndeere10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, just wondering how the fix is working for you. Thinking about using babbitt to fill gap on pulley. Have you or anyone tried this method?

After further review, babbitt does not seem applicable. Now I'm considering drilling into the top half of pulley and inserting a bronze bushing. Can someone tell me the inside diameter of the pulley ?????