Transmission Problem

jscrawford1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Poulan Pro PP175G42 riding mower. I was mowing my grass the other day, I had to get off the mower to move a kids toy in the yard. I put the mower in reverse to back up some then went to put it in gear 2. The transmission lever would for some reason move freely instead of locking into gear 2.I slowly let off the brake pedal and the mover moved in reverse only. I'm not sure what would cause this, but right now the mower only moves in reverse even with the transmission in gear 6. I did happen to notice a metal piece under the mover opposite of the transmission lever that moves when I move the lever. I'm wondering if that piece is supposed to be connected to something on the mower which would allow it to be put in gear and operate correctly. I am asking for help with this situation before I just jump into trying to fix it myself after work today and end up messing up something else. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a couple of snips of the blowup.
trans.PNGtrans2.PNG

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find the part# 202 on your mower, that is the part more likely to break.

trans3.PNG

Richie F

Threads
Looks like Fish posted faster than me. Lol.
Real quick, you lost forward gears.
Looking at diagram at the numbers of the one shown above.
#202 is (transaxle link) that attaches to # 175 (shaft assembly gear shift) that intern connects to #22 (shifter on fender).
A pin or nut has fallen off one of those parts.
You are in reverse because of that.
That's my best guess.

JTrucker

Forum Newbie
Threads
#202 is (transaxle link) that attaches to # 175 (shaft assembly gear shift) that intern connects to #22 (shifter on fender).
That's my best guess.
Mine keeps breaking part 202 ,would you happen to know why it would happen?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually it is caused by wear and tear. If you have replace the shifter linkage [#202 in the above diagram] with new parts then I would say that you have been forcing shifter [#10] to shift gears rather heavily. The shifting fork can bind in the housing [#1] from corrosion. The spring and detent steel ball [#20 and #22] can rust up causing problems, Also where the steel detents in the shifting fork can wear heavily over time. Even the shift collar [#9] and keys [#8] can cause problems.

Either the Peerless transaxle has to be repaired or replaced with another used one if you can find one. They have been out production for quite some time.
P0907059-00001.png

JTrucker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually it is caused by wear and tear. If you have replace the shifter linkage [#202 in the above diagram] with new parts then I would say that you have been forcing shifter [#10] to shift gears rather heavily. The shifting fork can bind in the housing [#1] from corrosion. The spring and detent steel ball [#20 and #22] can rust up causing problems, Also where the steel detents in the shifting fork can wear heavily over time. Even the shift collar [#9] and keys [#8] can cause problems.

Either the Peerless transaxle has to be repaired or replaced with another used one if you can find one. They have been out production for quite some time.
P0907059-00001.png
Thanks for responding, First one broke last fall and ordered 202 and took all winter to get,put new one in about a month ago and lawnmower seemed like not going all the way in reverse and mowed about twenty minutes on level ground and new one broke like the one did last fall.

noochie

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's my best guess.
is there a how to video to fix this?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, it is just the pic.