Transmission or just a broken cable?

Silverstreak02

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere (model JS63) self propelled mower. Recently the cable to make it move forward frayed and broke. I soldered on a new end and the cable broke again. today I removed the plastic cover over the transmission and discovered the the lever to engage the drive has to be pushed very hard to one side to get the wheels to move. The lever has some free play followed by some resistance and then it stops moving. If I continue to push it the wheels will start spinning. I have a new cable on order, but now I wonder if there might be something wrong with the transmission that caused the cable to fray. Does any one have any words of wisdom? Working on a mower to this degree is new to me. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the new cable comes put it on, set it up, and if you feel too much resistance, or it doesn't feel the way it did before, stop and then look into transmission. cables do go and sometimes more aften then they should do.

Silverstreak02

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got my new cable and discovered I ordered the wrong one. I need the cable that engages the rear wheel drive and I got the cable that changes speeds from 1 to 3. It looks like I'm pushing again this weekend. does anyone know what part # I need. I ordered GC90045 and that was wrong.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think its GC00153 but you better make sure by having a look here there are two type's and they go by the serial number......

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Silverstreak02

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks that is the number for my serial number. I'm not sure why I missed it before. Thanks again

Silverstreak02

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the cable and now it works normally. No more pushing is a good thing. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Job done:thumbsup: thank you for the feed back.