Transmission filter change question

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a Ferris IS700Z and I'm changing the transmission filters for the first time. I'm to the point of refilling but it has hex head vent caps and I cannot get them off. I've snapped two allen wrenches and there is not enough space to fit a hex socket + rachet. I've also tried penetrating oil. Not sure I can get (or want to get) a torch under there.

Without the vents open, I put some oil in the reservoirs and it took a while, but they went down. Not enough yet and there will be air still in the system.

The end of the procedure is to move the lever controls to purge the air.

I found videos but didn't get a clear answer. I assume under normal circumstances you would have the vent closed before doing this. Meaning the air would rise into the reservoir? Then I could open the lid to release any pressure, then do it all over again until the air is fully purged. I imagine it would take longer than normal because so much air would be in there versus using the vent, but would it work?

Thanks.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jack the rear of the mower up.
Open the bypass. Some have pull rings and some have screws that you must turn 1/4 turn.
Crank the mower, set engine speed to 1/2 throttle, and move the steering levers from reverse to forward 6 times in each direction. Shut off engine and close bypass.
Crank engine and repeat the above with the bypass closed.
Shut off engine and lower the mower, top up fluid to lower line on the reservoirs. Done.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What he said but do it at the lowest possible speed
The oil will foam a bit and the slower the transmission turns the less it will foam up
Same reasoning as beating eggs or making a light batter
the faster you whip it the more air gets trapped
And beware some will purge in a couple of minutes,and some will take just about all day.