Transmission belt replacement on a JD LA145 Mower

patman10

Forum Newbie
Threads
My problem is removing the belt from around the fan over the transmission.

Ifixdit

Threads
My problem is removing the belt from around the fan over the transmission.

I remove all my drive belts from the front and work my way back. Remove the belt from the engine pulley first, then the idlers in the middle of the mower. That should allow more than enough slack to get the belt off the fan above the transmission.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many JD's have a combination belt guide cover plate that needs to be removed to replace the belt. There should be a hold down screw on the right hand side, remove it and this guide will pop off.

patman10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many JD's have a combination belt guide cover plate that needs to be removed to replace the belt. There should be a hold down screw on the right hand side, remove it and this guide will pop off.
Thanks guys, it's that hold down screw that giving me the problem I couldn't find the screw or bolt that was holding that guide. It also looks like I have to remove the steering linkage to get the belt off. I got all of the pulleys off the front but before i took the steering apart i tried to see if i could get it off the fan but couldn't get it off, I will look for that hold down screw. Thanks all! Pat

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bolt for the rear guide is behind the right rear wheel, on top of the frame. You may have to pull the steering column, because on some JD's the belt runs on both sides of the column.

wferguson

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Transmission belt replacement on a JD LA145 Mower
The bolt for the rear guide is behind the right rear wheel, on top of the frame. You may have to pull the steering column, because on some JD's the belt runs on both sides of the column.

I did this job today.......

I pulled the steering wheel and pulled the engine bolts holding to frame out along with the exhaust cover in front. This allowed me to pull the engine up and slide it back just a little.

The guide (stud) on top of transmission uses a 6mm hex driver. Was able to put a small 3/8 inch ratchet on it.

The only pulleys I pulled were the idlers close to the steering wheel gear.

While I was at it, I replaced the steering gear and replaced the idlers since they appear to be worn and failure prone.

Got the parts at John Deere Parts Online Discount Store: Green Farm Parts. Part #'s can be found on John Deer Website.

GX20006 John Deere Traction Drive Belt 1 $20.98 $20.98
GX20053 John Deere Gear 1 $35.66 $35.66
B30963 John Deere Lock Nut 1 $1.52 $1.52
GX20287 John Deere Idler 1 $7.21 $7.21
GX20286 John Deere Idler 1 $6.26 $6.26
14M7400 John Deere Lock Nut 2 $1.20 $2.40
GX21794 John Deere Stud 1 $14.61 $14.61

nurnberg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have step by step guide on how to remove the Belt. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Read the previous post and looked on line.
I need to replace the Transmission Belt. It appears to be stretched out and has slipped off behind the transmission by the fan.
My issue is how do you get to the front pulley to be able to remove the actual belt. I can get to everything else just not that one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I find it quicker & easier to drop the engine pulley as it is just 1 bolt leaving the retainers in place.
Some times it becomes a 3 hand job to replace it but that is what cable ties were invented for.