transaxle question

sgthundley

Forum Newbie
Threads
new to the site. I cant find any info on the craftsman 289213 riding mower. The transaxle has a metal plug not a screw in type. we have replace the ball joint shaft twice as the ball joint breaks out. the onlything we can think of is that the transaxle fluid has ran its course and needs to be changed. If anyone can let me know the best way to approach this let me know thank you.

Richie F

Threads
Like others you have not given any real info on your machine.
Look for a tag under the seat or body of the machine and give the numbers off it.
This means nothing "craftsman 289213 riding mower".

sgthundley

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is what i got fro the tag under the seat it has model: 917-289213 and then a serial number, it is a craftsman 42" 21HP. If im not looking in the right place please let me know. I appreciate the help thank you

Attachments

• img-1.jpg
    img-1.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 7
  • img-2.jpg
    img-2.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not sure I understand your question. Are you breaking the balls joints because it is hard to shift, or are you talking about another ball joint that is breaking. The transaxle for the most part is not user serviceable. It would have to be removed from the mower, disassembled cleaned and the new oil added. There isn't a way to just drain and refill Due to grass buildup and water it is not uncommon for the shift linkage on the top of the transaxle to get rusty causing it to be tight and not wanting to move. Clean the grass off and add penetrating oil around the shaft and work it and it should free up with a lot of extra work.

sgthundley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure I understand your question. Are you breaking the balls joints because it is hard to shift, or are you talking about another ball joint that is breaking. The transaxle for the most part is not user serviceable. It would have to be removed from the mower, disassembled cleaned and the new oil added. There isn't a way to just drain and refill Due to grass buildup and water it is not uncommon for the shift linkage on the top of the transaxle to get rusty causing it to be tight and not wanting to move. Clean the grass off and add penetrating oil around the shaft and work it and it should free up with a lot of extra work.
thank you I will try the penetrating oil. currently there is no build up on the linkage.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As said the transaxle must be removed to service it.

More likely the shifting fork where it passes through the upper case has corroded as the o-ring may be bad allowing water to enter the area. Disassembly removing the shifting fork. ream clean the pass through hole clean of corrosion (just don't over do it), and possible a new shifting fork and o-ring should solve the stiff shifting problem. BTW the transaxle uses 80w-90w gear oil.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are stopping before shifting?

sgthundley

Forum Newbie
Threads
As said the transaxle must be removed to service it.

More likely the shifting fork where it passes through the upper case has corroded as the o-ring may be bad allowing water to enter the area. Disassembly removing the shifting fork. ream clean the pass through hole clean of corrosion (just don't over do it), and possible a new shifting fork and o-ring should solve the stiff shifting problem. BTW the transaxle uses 80w-90w gear oil.
we are gonna try the penetrating oil first . then if we have to go further then we will try the step you gave out. we found the metal cap sealing the transaxle so we can pop that out to replace the oil.