Buying Advice tractor or zero turn

1usa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everybody,

I am about to buy a lawn mower, but I am not sure which one to get.

I have a 1.3 acres, no hills and I do not know if I should get a tractor or zero turn. What do you guys think? A friend of mine said that the tractor would not last long and within a year I would be having issues. is that true? or should I get the zero turn?

I am looking at the husqvarna 46' or John Deer 42 tractor.

also the Toro 42' inch zero turn.

Thank you so much
Undecided guy.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello everybody,

I have a 1.3 acres, no hills and I do not know if I should get a tractor or zero turn. What do you guys think? A friend of mine said that the tractor would not last long and within a year I would be having issues. is that true? or should I get the zero turn?

Thank you so much
Undecided guy.

I think your being a little vague in your post? I mean how much money are you wanting to spend, whats the budget? How much time are you wanting to or willing to dedicate to mowing? I would assume that the 42" Toro would be a Time Cutter?
Your friend said that the tractor would not last long and within a year you would be having issues, you could say the same for the ztr. Reality is how long they will last depends on how well you maintain the mowers. Any of the the three mowers your looking at will work but as far as longevity goes if your looking for a mower that will last I'd stay away from the residential stuff and buy a low-end commercial unit of some type with 2800 drives and at least a 20hp Kawasaki engine.

Last edited:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If all you area going to do with it is cut grass then Zero Turn hands down is the best. On the other hand if you are going to use it for other things or purchase other attachments for it then you might look at a tractor. Cutting grass however the zero turn will out perform a tractor by a mile.

Rocky J

Threads
Hello everybody,

Thank you so much
Undecided guy.
For your friend to say that 1 year before trouble you must be looking at used mowers and if you are I would go with a tractor. There has been a lot of years of poor drive units on zero turns other then that on the tractor look at the trans axle see if it has a hydraulic filter and 12 inch tires and a 2 cylinder engine is a must. I like the the Husqvarna AYP over the MTD stuff , front axles and hood mounting for example , deck spindles for the deck new for a AYP is $18 vs MTD at $40 to $50 and it takes 2 to 3 depending on the width of cut . I am not a fan of the John Deere /Scott mowers so you will need to ask someone else about them and not a guy selling one .

Pineapple

Threads
I've lived at my present location for 30 years (built the house from ground up). I'm an avid DIYer so I look at how difficult/easy it would be to perform maintenance. The first mower I purchased to mow 2 acres was an Ariens riding lawn mower w 32" deck and 12 hp BS. Took what seemed forever to mow w/ the mower's large turning radius and small deck. Gave it to my brother after 15 years (?) after replacing engine and purchased a 'Deere w/ 48" deck and BS 20 hp twin cylinder from a JD dealer. It required the usual maintenance but the steering gear was the weak link. I still have it but I purchased a Toro zero turn (50" deck w/ 23hp Kawasaki). It really shortens the mowing time and I'm actually enjoying 'cutting the grass'-probably due to the "newness" of the mower. It seems well built for a residential mower and I hope maintenance issues don't raise their ugly heads. IMO zero turn is the way to go.