Tractor dies when you put a parasitic load on the engine

Fred1951

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tractor dies when you put a parasitic load on the engine
Not argueing that a carb clean would not hurt but the engine stalls when the hand brake is let off
Brake + seat + magneto ( no change in carburettor opening )
PTO + seat + magneto ( carburettor opens fully )
What I was saying is the engine runs and starts fine, revs up to full throttle and keeps running fine. As soon as I put the transmission in gear and let the brake peddle out it dies. The same when I pull the switch for the mower clutch out even with it in neutral. Some one said something about cut5ting the wire on the I believe they were talking about the fuel solenoid, if you do that. doesn't it backfire like the old Cubs that didn't have the solenoid and plunger?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three techs here have both said most likely the seat switch or the seat switch circuit .
Got cut whatever wires some brain dead moron on face book said to do but it will still not run & if you cut the solenoid plunger off it will still not run
But if that is what makes you happy go ahead & do it , it is your mower.
If you want it fixed then listen to what you have been told here
If you wont more information then ask
From what you have posted to date it would appear you are well out of your comfort zone

If you don't understand then ask for a clarification
We have no idea of your machanical / electrical aptitude
You are just dots on a computer screen.

I would have posted a wiring diagram but since the take over craftsman searches are geo locked it USA & Canada only so I can not even pull up an IPL form down here any more .

And no one on this forum said anything about cutting anything
You were asked some questions & asked to do some tests
If you want help from the people on this forum then we expect you to do what was asked so we can get the information we need to properly diagnose your problems.

The other thing to remember is some get the forum as a complete thread while others just see it as a series of emails
So some of the answers will only reffer to the previous post and not the entire thread
This can get a little confusing if you are already out of your depth .

I went to the effort to explain to you & to one of the posters who had not thought through the actual thread why we think you have a safety circuit problem
And Slomo gave you instructions about how to verify this before Hugh sent us down the wrong path but he probably had not read your original post .

Last edited:

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor model: 917.273220 with the Kohler engine:CV26S 69526. I ran out of gas and then filled it up, and now it will start up and run at full throttle just fine. As soon as I pull the switch for the mower deck or let off the brake to take off it will die. When it starts to die I'll pull the choke out and it still dies. Some times it will backfire like when you shut off the fuel solenoid isn't working. Any ideas?
The fuel solenoid or "Afterfire Solenoid" on the bottom of the carb is most likely sticky. listen carefully, turn key on and off with brake set and see if solenoid feels and sounds crisp. These are very intermittent because they are at the bottom of fuel bowl and a very small deposit in bowl will hinder it's motion.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For some reason the operator present relay [circled] is not operating.
1653847303560.png