Traction in the Snow

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dang it. Now I want one. :(

Now don't be bashful, its only money, get one. If you don't have the money just do it on the payment plan. You would look mighty find driving one of them 4WD tractors $$$.

X-man

Threads
Now don't be bashful, its only money, get one. If you don't have the money just do it on the payment plan. You would look mighty find driving one of them 4WD tractors $$$.

4WD would probably do me a favor when it comes to the hills that I have to mow every week. It would definitely be nice.

gfp55

Threads
Which would be a better setup for my Craftsman tractor? Tractor lug rear tires or tire chains? There will be wheel weights on rear tires. I'm setting up a little tractor to plow snow next winter and just wondering which setup would perform the best. Any info will be appreciated.

I don't know what size tractor you have, but if you are going to be doing customers driveway/sidewalks, you can't scar up their pavement chains. If its your pavement, have at it. Are you going with a snow plow or a snow blower? If you go with a plow, you will need weight, like wheel weights, loaded tires. You don't want to put a lot of weight on your tractor because its hard on the steering/axles, ect. Weight on your wheels and in your tires and some weight on the tractor + the driver is the best way to go. If you go with a snow blower you can get away with less weight, must of the weight will be needed on the back of the tractor to counterweight the blower. If you decide to use a plow, you have to remember to push the snow far enough back so you have room for the next snow falls. You'll have a hard time moving old snow after it sets and gets hard. Plowing gets the job done faster but you end up with big piles of snow. If you go with a snow blower, the snow is thrown far enough back that you don't have to deal with the big piles like with plowing, but snow blowing is slower. It will take you longer to get the job done, but does a better job moving the snow out of the way. I have a 700' long driveway plus a 4 mile dirt road around my property and about 2 acres area that gets cleared of snow. I use both plow and blower, mostly blower to clear the snow. As far as tires go, I use 6 ply trencher tires all the way around without chains. I have wheel weights and loaded tires and counterweight on my tractor. Tractor weighs 960 lbs, rear tires loaded and weights are 202 lbs, front tires loaded and weights 65 lbs, counterweight is 112 lbs, driver is 186 lbs, total of 1525 lbs plus the snow blower weighs 250 lbs, or the snow blade weighs 90-100 lbs. If you are not moving lots of snow you can get away with a lot less tractor and weight, but your rig will not last long if your beating the life of it if its not set up right for the job. I have used this set up for years and I clear my neighbors driveways also. I use my tractor for cutting acres of grass in the summer also. Good Luck setting up your tractor and if you need how to help just holler.